mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
V
viman3 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
V
i need to use mirc for my clan and im wondering if this is even possible.

any help would be appreciated

V
viman3 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
V
bump

S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
I dont think double posting is allowed. Also, please refer to this topic on the forums for your answer. --> https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1109&page=1#Post1109 --> Simple answer, no.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
He did not double post.
Double posting is posting the same topic/post more than once.

Bumping is posting to the topic in order for it to get to the top of the "Recent Posts" and to get it to the top of the post list in its original forum. However, bumping a mere 8 minutes after the original is considered spam. On most forums, if bumping is allowed, its usually once every day, or so.

Those who can, cannot. Those who cannot, can.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Bumping, regardless of time limit, is frowned upon here. And never bump in under a day anywhere or you're likely to be banned.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
And never bump in under a day anywhere or you're likely to be banned.

says who?

cant see anything wrong in bumping a thread at most once-twice a day. if you get ban for that, then mod is fucking loser.

IceCapped
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's a good habit to be in. Why bump a thread in less than a day? It just makes your thread go ahead of other threads for no reason. If someone writes a question and 20 people read it and don't know the answer, then 5 hours later, the thread is bumped, those 20 people have to look at it again to see nothing other than "bump". It wastes peoples' time for no reason.

*IF* someone knows the answer, it will be answered. Sometimes, people aren't around and bumping doesn't do any good. I don't agree with bumping anything unless it's been 3-4 days without a response (2 if it's really important). That's my personal opinion. The 24 hour limit was stated as it's a good general rule to follow and will usually be "safe" to do on all forums. In any case, bumping in under and hour is definite grounds for being banned... especially if done more than once after being warned. Again, that's my opinion.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i see no such rule on this forum
until it's added, i see no reason for complaining about such act

IceCapped
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
There's no official rule about helping with file sharing
either but I've been banned more times than I care to recall
for doing it. I was even told it's not a rule but pretty much
just up to the mods as to whether or not they want to do
anything about it. I imagine the stupid BUMP thing is pretty
much the same, leaving the mods to play god and make up
whatever rules they want as they go.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
To clarify, I've not seen or heard of anyone being banned for thread-bumping (and personally I wouldn't) but it is annoying and it is frowned upon on most message boards across the Internet, not just here. Therefore, regulars (or anyone else) are welcome to politely ask people NOT to bump threads. Warnings of being banned should not be included in such a polite warning.

RoCk, you were banned for being constantly obnoxious, argumentative, trolling, and evading bans, so let's not play the victim eh? Deciding how to moderate threads based on individual circumstances rather than a set-in-stone bunch of rules, like some sort of "law", does not constitute mods playing god or making up rules as they go along.

The whole thing is not really up for discussion on the board, particularly in a completely irrelevant thread, but if anyone wishes to express their opinions or has any questions, please feel free to private message or email me :-)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Originally Posted By: viman3
i need to use mirc for my clan and im wondering if this is even possible.

any help would be appreciated

The answer is yes. A friend of mine that owns the irc.chorn.com chat server got his macbookpro to install mIRC by using crossover.

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)
S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
I think he was wondering if there was ever going to be mIRC compiled into something compatible with mac's. In that case it's no. If you want to run mIRC.exe on a mac you can get a crossover program. Or buy Mac OSX. Enjoy!

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Originally Posted By: Spitfire3292
I think he was wondering if there was ever going to be mIRC compiled into something compatible with mac's. In that case it's no. If you want to run mIRC.exe on a mac you can get a crossover program. Or buy Mac OSX. Enjoy!

I'm sure he would of mentioned or rather asked the exact question if there was going to be a MAC version. However good call though unless he posts again about it I doubt we both will never know frown.

I just figured since the Subject/Question was "is mirc able to run on macs?" and using Crossover that the answer to the exact question is yes. Crossover allows Windows programs to be installed on MAC intel OSX computers. Not just running an .exe, but actually install them smile. Quite nice if you ask me.

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)

Link Copied to Clipboard