mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#176825 14/05/07 06:25 PM
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
apologies for starting a new post addressing a prob wifey and i should be able to fix using faq's blush

briefly,
our connection recently changed from 'cable/broadband' to 'phone co./dsl'mad
ever since then,, sends of our default list have started failing 8 out of 10 times (timed out|no connection).
nothing else has been as drasticly affected, somewhat slower 'speeds', things a bit more sluggish all around but that's it.
we can't figure it out.
all settings have remained unchanged.
any suggestions would be appreciated

btw, nice to be here . . .again
~

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan
meteecee #176834 14/05/07 10:02 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This is due to the difference in the available bandwidth between cable and DSL. Cable is, to my knowledge, without exception, faster and a wider bandwidth than DSL, as DSL also has to allow for the bandwidth required for phone conversations.

I suggest that you contact your ISP and find out if you're using a higher than normal amount of bandwidth. If you are, they might be able to figure out why and do something about it.

meteecee #176848 14/05/07 10:53 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Timing out is very often the cause of your connection... either between you and the ISP or at the ISP itself. Sometimes, a router may also be the cause. Make sure that you have your DSL filters installed properly as that may also be a cause.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #176856 15/05/07 12:50 AM
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
DSL filters installed properly as that may also be a cause.

thanx for the replies . .
this is not the first time i've been advised about 'DSL filters' ...(one of more than a few things i never had to worry about when i was on broadband).
i have been lazy . .
need to get over the "grief" confused and learn more about my
new dsl grin

again, thank you

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. - Bob Dylan

Link Copied to Clipboard