Print Thread
P
patda Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
P
Hi all
New to this forum, so this is my 1st contribution...

My antivirus (Mcafee) detects that mirc 6.21 has a "PUP" Potentially Unwanted Program inside: Generic PUP.j

What shall I do? Is it some false Mcafee detection?
Please help me...!

Cheers,
Pat

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This is exactly what it says. If you installed mIRC then it's probably a program that you use and, therefore, want, in which case, it's safe.
However, if you didn't install mIRC, then I suggest that you uninstall the program.
There's a more detailed topic regarding this here

P
patda Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
P
Hi and thanks for the quick reply!
I guess I am reassured...

I had another PUP warning about Zonealarm recently... so it was pretty weird to have all those alarms at the same time...
...> becoming paranoid!

Thanks again!
Pat

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The ZoneAlarm 'pup' is due to the fact that you've got two anti-virus programs installed (and possibly working) at the same time. Please ensure that you have the latest versions of the programs and any updates that have been released since the most recent version. Years ago it was considered to be bad form to have multiple anti-virus programs simultaneously, so they were constantly finding and complaining about the other program.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, the latest McAfee dat file update detects mIRC as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). That doesn't mean it's not good to have. Any PUP detected is something that you should delete if you didn't install it in case some virus installed it and is using it, but if you did install it, then you know it's safe (assuming you got it from here). Just go into the scan report and click on mIRC and choose Trust from the options and it won't detect it again (unless it's installed to another location later).

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard