mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
ribery Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
R
Hello irc community! I want to make a suggestion. As you know , irc is losing people because of msn. I think if you create a irc client with msn incorporate , with a lot of smiles , graphics , colors , people will use irc again! I miss that old times with a lot of people on irc , please make something like that!

Thank's You.

Last edited by ribery; 20/04/07 02:46 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you did a search, you would've found that there have been a lot of posts regarding similies, emoticons, graphics, etc. and posts both for and against these items.

mIRC is an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client. Chat clients, which are text based, have been around long before Windows was even introduced. Possibly even before MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System) was out.

There are other clients and add-ins for mIRC that already incorporate/allow most, if not all of the things you have mentioned, but it appears that Khaled does not want to incorporate them into the main program, based on the amount of time that has passed since these were originally suggested, and the number of releases since then.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
This must be a joke.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
There are plenty of all-in-one multi-protocol chat clients around already, lets not make mirc one of them. (what you do with third party dll's is up to you)

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Yeah .. it seems like someone just wanted to see if
they could piss me off first thing in the morning. wink

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
IRC is not losing people because of MSN. Sheesh. It isn't even losing people because of AIM and that is used by more people than MSN. IRC is what it is and that won't change. IM is also what it is and that won't change. They are two separate and unique entities.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I agree. I think users are migrating to instant messenging networks, but that IRC is losing people because of IRC. It's a very out of date method of chatting these days.

R
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
R
All do u mean that IRC is going to be die? and may be it will lose all its users one day in the future? shocked

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
IRC is unlikely to die within our lifetimes... unless something more interesting than IM comes out. However, it will eventually die.

Invision Support
Y
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Y
First off, there is nothing to suggest IM programs like MSN and AIM are stealing people from IRC, you're all basing it on your own experience which is ludricously inaccurate.

Secondly, IRC is never going to die, nothing geeky ever does, there's always someone, somewhere who wants to be "retro" and "hip".

Thirdly, incorporating MSN into mIRC would be a) absurd b) pointless and c) time-consuming.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
just wanted to add a some words here, irc maybe wont die, how ever it losing users due programs that have the ability to show who you chatting with in cam, i know mirc can do this with a addon, but as long as WE support mirc by using it and write scripts for it then it will be alive and kicking wink and what i know irc is the only way to chat "without being invited" to many people at the same time. and a user wont be able to controll a chat in msn in the same way you can on irc, and we also have people out there that loves to work with eggdrops and other nice programs for irc, and i will keep on using mirc as long as i find it interesting to talk with people, script and work with eggdrops. and i guess i will do that for a long time, any many with me i hope wink

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
This idea is terrible, although I would like to say something constructive... It would be nice if mIRC had a new layout. One where everything is a desktop window, with a more IM (like Yahoo, or msn) style of display. This has been suggested I'm sure a dozen times (similes, per window fonts, etc...). There should of course have a "legacy layout" option to keep mIRC's layout the way it is. smile

MDI is a bit outdated since Windows XP (and 2000?) can group windows from the same thread.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
with a more IM (like Yahoo, or msn) style of display. This has been
suggested I'm sure a dozen times (similes, per window fonts, etc...).

sick

Hopefully Khaled is a reasonable man and is ignoring all this bs.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Rude and offensive comment, typical of raZOR, deleted

Last edited by qwerty; 10/05/07 12:14 PM.

IceCapped
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Rock, did you notice the part where I basiclly said leave support for the existing interface, and provide an option for switching between them? If you don't want it don't use it, not everyone likes MDI applications.

Expanding on my previous post... To do this properly, there needs to be a way to "pull" the mIRC switchbar and mIRC treebar off of MDI and give them their own desktop windows.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm sure some work on the interface and how it looks wouldn't hurt and would probably be widely accepted. Adding support for other IM features (emoticons, video, etc) is where people start not liking the idea. There have been *many* threads on those particular topics and some have some very good points both for and against incorporating them into mIRC. In any case, Khaled has seen them and more threads won't sway him one way or another. He either plans to eventually implement them, or else he never plans to.

I will say that though I personally have no use for such features, I don't mind them if they are optional. As for emoticon support, there was a very good suggestion in one of those many threads that would actually be supported by many people even if they don't like the idea of emoticons. It's the ability to use a $replace-like command to replace given strings with images. This can be used for more than emoticons and would actually be very useful for scripters. It would also allow those who want emoticons to easily include them by setting up the $replace on ascii smileys to replace them with smiley images and because the images aren't built into mIRC, it would allow everyone to change out the smileys for new ones whenever they may want to. That idea is one that I would support fully... not for the smileys, but for the ability to insert other images as needed.

As a note on that suggestion, the ability to adjust the size of the image when replacing the text should be available. By default, it should automatically resize to match the font size, but there should be the ability to adjust it as needed. Also, the ability to use this in dialogs would also be useful, though probably more difficult to implement.

Invision Support
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: NaquadaServ
...One where everything is a desktop window, with a more IM (like Yahoo, or msn) style of display....

curious... what is Options>Display>Options>Windows used for? same thing right? hmm.. or am i misunderstanding what your saying?

Link Copied to Clipboard