Print Thread
#17433 30/03/03 10:29 AM
J
jh20001 Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
You know there is a rising amount of times this happens lately, which I hate. I hate it when users here randomly PM people (such as i) asking things like:

"I'm new here Can U tell me How I'll be able to download Movies Using This mIRC? "

People need to read the rules, learn the TRUE prupose of mIRC''s existance, an go use google for any other question (such as that) that they may have.

......Ok, thats my ranting for the day smile

#17434 30/03/03 10:35 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Wait til you end up with multiple emails from the same user regarding the same thing (just worded differently) ...Kinda gets annoying after a while....

grin

#17435 30/03/03 11:17 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
How do get e-mails? You mean through MemoServ?

-----
Reply to the person who posted the topic.
Some networks have umode +R, and that helps against newbies. By the time they figure out registration, hopefully they learned some things.

#17436 30/03/03 11:51 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Oh I misunderstood then...I must have had my head in the clouds...I thought he meant how people PM you on this message board....which I replied with the wait til you get the email remark.....but don't get me wrong that happens with memoserv also...

#17437 30/03/03 12:59 PM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I meant if MemoServ had an e-mail option on.

#17438 30/03/03 01:34 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree - God helps those who help themselves.

#17439 30/03/03 05:41 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Yes, it is a bit annoying when ppl pm here (or IRC) to ask a question rather than (or worse, in addition to) posting it in the appropriate area. (no doubt one reason why many ppl dont allow pm here) So is rampant clicking of the notify moderator button for no reason other than thinking you will get an answer sooner (you wont, you will only induce moderator crankiness). It would be wondermous if ppl would take the time to read the sticky posts at the top of each forum and use the search feature as well as reading this and mIRC's help file and FAQ.

However, sad fact of life: ppl just hate to RTFM be they newb or not. Some ppl have difficulty with english or think they will end up more confused. Some may feel they can just wing it and dont need no stinking manual or help file. Others are just lazy and figure its easier to ask someone than expend the effort to find an answer. Some just dont know how or that such things exist.

Some were told by friends to get mIRC as a way to get movies and are misled into thinking its a safe and peachy way to steal. I suspect that after getting no reply from all the fserv bots, and/or hearing from ppl that mIRC is a CHAT medium they resort to pm anyone they think mite answer them. And of course there are those who dont want to ask anything "in front of everyone".

One facet of helping ppl is to realize that you will hear the same questions and see the same behavior, over and over. Rather than simply giving a answer, i try to also show ppl how to find their own answers for future questions or explain why they shouldnt be doing whatever it is they are doing. We know its rude to pm a stranger, about using /help and other help commands, about using google or other search engines, that mIRC is intended for chatting.... new ppl dont. While they could take the time to find all that out first, most simply wont and need someone to explain.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard