mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
i uninstalled mirc with windows XP add remove programs, now i can't veiw webpages or download email (had to type this on another comp). status says i'm connected, but i can't do anything! how do i fix this?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Are you sure that it was the uninstallation of mIRC that caused this problem? After you uninstalled mIRC, did you reboot your system? Have you verified that your system is virus free?
Did you install anything between the time that you uninstalled mIRC and when you noticed this problem?

Those are the first things I'd be checking, as mIRC has nothing to do with your webbrowser or e-mail client (with the possible exception of if you had one or more scripts that interfaced with those items).

N
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
right after i uninstalled mirc the internet stopped. i was connected to mirc just before, closed it, uninstalled it, and tried to check mail right after.

i didn't install anything else. i did run a full virus scan and found nothing. i did try reinstalling mirc but it didn't help. the reinstalled mirc said "unable to reslover server" but my computer's internet status said connected and i can't load webpages or check email.

how would i check / know if any scripts interfaced? wouldn't a reinstall fix that?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Not necessarily. You would've had to reinstall the scripts as well. It is unlikely that a missing script is the cause of your problems, as most scripts don't have the level of complexity required for what you're describing.

Unfortunately, based on what you've told me, I can't think of why this has happened, as I (and I'm quite sure several other people) have installed, uninstalled and re-installed mIRC with no problems regarding other usages.

I'm sorry to say that I'm at a loss for ideas at this point. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Open a command window (start>run>cmd>ok)

Enter this command:

ipconfig/all

right click on the cmd window and choose mark. highlight the output from the above command. right click in the cmd window. Paste the results on the forum.

-genius_at_work

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Beyond what genius_at_work suggested, I'd recommend restarting the modem and router. To do so, turn off both. Then, turn on just your modem and wait until it is fully started. Then, turn on your router and wait for it to fully start as well. Then, try using the internet. It may just be coincidence that your "lease" to your IP on your router expired while you were uninstalling and it needs to be reset.

The shorter method is to type the following in Start>Run:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

(those are 2 separate things to type and hit ok for). The first solution is more likely to succeed, but this one is faster if you want to try it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
did that, didn't help.

more info: we have 4 computers that use the same network for internet. the 2 desktops can connect, my laptop which had mirc on it can't. checked the other laptop (never had mirc) and found it can't connect now either. what could cause a problem for only the laptops?

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Do the laptops use wireless to connect to your network? Have you tried reseting your router/gateway? When I say reset, I don't mean unplugging it; I mean using a pen to press the tiny reset button on the back of the router for 5-10 seconds. That should return the router to factory defaults, and possibly reset any error that are present. Of course, after you reset and test the connection, you will have to redo all your settings within the router.

-genius_at_work

Link Copied to Clipboard