mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
twigboy Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
T
sorry i seem to be having trouble wording this properly.

i want to be able to know through a variable (such as $vhost == $true) that the server i'm on has given me a virtual host so people wont be able to detect my real IP

is this possible for mIRC to detect this sort of feature or will it involve alot of work?

thanks!

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It is possible, and can already be done using scripting methods, conditionally that the person/bot running the code has sufficient access to be able to determine the difference.

I know I can do this on the network where I have IRCops status, but I also know that if I was to disable my IRCops status, then I wouldn't be able to determine the difference.

Additionally, this may be (and I suspect would be) different depending on the network and/or IRCd.

Normally only IRCops (or higher) can see your actual host configuration when a virtual host is used.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Although there is a little inconsistancy with the virtual hosting usermode across ircds, you easily check your own usermaodes to see if the networks vhost mode (sometimes x, sometimes v, i've even seen a few other oddball flags for it) is in it.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
W
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
W
For unreal-ircd with anope services, if -your- nick has a vhost assigned (has to be manually set by an admin/host setter) then the network will notice you with the following text:

-HostServ- Your vhost of [vhost] is now activated.

Note, [vhost] is whatever your vhost is, and without brackets.

Just do an on:notice event and have it look for 'Your vhost of' being sent by 'HostServ' then set your %variable to $true or $false.

Now, to determine if a user other then yourself is using a vhost.. its fairly easy. Just look for usermode +x set to the user. (For unreal-ircd that is) This indicates that either the user is using a vhost, OR has their ip/host masked via ip encryption.

You can use this method to check yourself for a vhost.. but, it could return true even without a vhost. (It will return true because encryption and vhost share the same mode) This is why it would be best to check for a notice from hostserv, then you're sure your vhost is on and not just standard ip encryption.

For other ircds.. i wouldn't know :p I only admin an unreal-ircd network, and connect to them. I've never been on dal/ef/quake or the other much larger networks that use different ircds :p Though, if they have someway to encrypt a user's ip address, im sure its marked via a usermode.

S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
Originally Posted By: wulf
Now, to determine if a user other then yourself is using a vhost.. its fairly easy. Just look for usermode +x set to the user. (For unreal-ircd that is) This indicates that either the user is using a vhost, OR has their ip/host masked via ip encryption.

In Unreal IRCd, usermode x shows that their host is masked(e.g. 34fc87.43217f.314f85.IP, IRC-adb493.ipt.aol.com), usermode t shows that they are using a nonstandard mask(e.g. my.cool.vhost).

S
SGR Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Originally Posted By: Shining_Phoenix

In Unreal IRCd, usermode x shows that their host is masked(e.g. 34fc87.43217f.314f85.IP, IRC-adb493.ipt.aol.com), usermode t shows that they are using a nonstandard mask(e.g. my.cool.vhost).

And how are we, as non-O:lined clients, supposed to see other users usermodes? (Outside the scope you can extract from a WHO reply that is?)

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you don't have IRCops status on the network, then, to the best of my knowledge (and as I said in my earlier post), this can not be done.

S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
Originally Posted By: twigboy
sorry i seem to be having trouble wording this properly.

i want to be able to know through a variable (such as $vhost == $true) that the server i'm on has given me a virtual host so people wont be able to detect my real IP

is this possible for mIRC to detect this sort of feature or will it involve alot of work?

thanks!

Please note the bold bit.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I missed that detail also, and I apologize. If the IRCd being used on the network is Unreal, then the user should check if they have t is their user modes.
Code:
alias vhost {
  $iif($isid,return,echo -a) $iif(t isincs $usermode,$true,$false)
}

Usage: /vhost or $vhost

Link Copied to Clipboard