Print Thread
K
Kaneage Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
Hi all
I'm relatively new to mIRC, but I have figured out how to download stuff from fserve's.

The problem is I am on 512 ADSL and can only download at 10-18 kbps. I have seen other users downloading of the same fserve at 45kbps or more, so im sure its only me.

I am only using windows firewall and NOD32 as an antivirus, with IMON disabled, I have opened up a few ports on my router which I saw mIRC using in options. Is there anything I can do apart from turning pdcc and fast send on as they havent really done anything?
Thanks

Last edited by Kaneage; 17/03/07 01:07 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
First, mIRC's a chat program as pointed out in the sticky and we can't offer much help on the topic of filesharing as 95%+ is illegal, even if yours isn't.

Second, the server may have limited the current download speeds, or may be sending to others and that limits the speeds because you share the total speed that user can send at, or you may have a lot of traffic on your ADSL line that is slowing you down. There are some other possibilities as well and there is little you can do to fix the problem without changing ISPs or using other fservs. DCC, quite simply, is one of the worst protocols for filesharing. You can almost always download faster through just about any other protocol.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
K
Kaneage Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
- The server only sends to one person at a time, you can see the current sends
- I have seen other people downloading at 45-50kbps
- Nothing else is downloading on my system, just mIRC

So is there anything in mIRC that limits DCC download speed for some reason?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No, mIRC doesn't have anything that can limit download speed... even if you want it to (at least, not unless you have a script that does it).

You can have pdcc and fast send on and your packet size set to 4096 and they could help, but usually it is minor. Like I said, there isn't really anything you can do about it other than try other servers. I've seen people download at 100+kB/s from one fast source and 10kB/s from another fast source. It depends on a lot of factors and it's usually not something you can change.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
K
Kaneage Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
ohk cool thanks alot

Hey Y'all

Link Copied to Clipboard