mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
G
Hi,

With the first public version of mIRC being released on the 28th of February, 1995. I was wondering if some kind of registration discount could be seen on this day every year? Just something to think about. Thanks! smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It is something to think about, however, in all fairness, it would be next to impossible to incorporate this, as mIRC users are in all different time zones, so if it was Feb. 28th @ 01:00 GMT, it would still be Feb. 27th @ 20:00 EST (8 pm)..so should someone registering then get the discount?
Also, what about all the people that have already registered? Should Khaled try to figure out how to send the difference back?
Then again, there're people (like myself) who registered and paid for it via a cheque, since we didn't have a credit card or Paypal options available when we registered...when would that person's registration date be..when they registered, when they're payment was received or when they got they're registration code?

I'm quite sure there are other problems that would be involved with this, but those are the one's I was able to think of.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
A discount on $20? What would that be? You save $0.37 ?

:P

-genius_at_work

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Not a bad idea in theory, but in practice it'd be too awkward to do for reasons Russel stated.

I also think that $20 is a very small price to pay. I'd imagine only poor people and children would be unable to pay the $20, and poor people would more than likely not have a computer or internet connection.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
I also think that $20 is a very small price to pay. I'd imagine only poor people and children would be unable to pay the $20, and poor people would more than likely not have a computer or internet connection.

- There's plenty of places where the economy compares poorly in comparison to Britain and the US where internet is priced appropriately for people in that country but the conversion into US dollars or British Pounds makes $20 an expensive proposition. In even poorer regions communal internet access is often available and in the future there's also government schemes like the OLPC project that would provide people with computers and internet access but not necessarily the means to spend $20 on software.

RusselB is overthinking the situation. The day would be by British/UTC time, as all past date-specific promotions have been for mIRC AFAIK (ie. charity months). Past registrations on the date wouldn't be retroactively discounted, why would they be? No-one could reasonably expect otherwise.

Regardless of all that though, I don't think the birthday idea is really necessary. mIRC already allows people to pay an amount lower than $20 if they decide it's too much, so effectively what the OP is suggesting has already been implemented for every single day of the year! Can't say much fairer than that.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
LOL!

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
Originally Posted By: hixxy
poor people would more than likely not have a computer or internet connection.

LOL!

Link Copied to Clipboard