mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
O
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
O
I am having problems it wont save my preferences or favorite channels. Any updates or anything would be greatful.

Thanks

Chris

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Search the forum for Vista and you'll find many problems and some solutions. A word of warning -- Vista will reduce the longevity of all of your hardware due to constant (30 times per second) pings of every piece of hardware. That's just one thing it will do that's bad. Might be better to just stick with XP.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Jesus let it go with the Vista-bashing will you? You don't like it, we get it. There's no point telling someone who's already running Vista that it's crap, if they're using it they've already made up their mind. The hardware longetivity issues in that article are mostly BS that will have a negligable affect on your system's actual lifespan compared to things like dust, electromigration, and thermal fatigue. It won't disable hardware if it's not HDCP enabled - it will only disable DRM-protected content which is licenced to only run via HDCP hardware if you try and run it via non-HDCP hardware. In other words unless you actually buy content that's made to run on HDCP hardware it won't affect you. Even if you do it will only affect the protected content, nothing else.

You know what, I don't like Vista either. You know what I'm doing about it? Using another OS. Quietly.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There are issues with the current version of mIRC and Vista. They should be fixed by the next version. For now you might want to take a look at this post for a possible fix. It actually describes a fix for Limited User Accounts under XP but it should work for Vista too (in theory).

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Lol. I figured someone would get upset over pointing out the problems with Vista as well as the lack of real features and the high cost for very little actual improvement. That's fine. I won't bother you more with such information. However, it is good for people to have the information even if they choose to ignore it. Many people buy a new computer with the newest OS because they don't know better and offering them information about it is not a bad thing, imo.

As for the quality of the information... pinging hardware constantly *will* reduce its longevity. Other things do affect longevity, that's true. However, if you have a computer without Vista and a computer with Vista, all other factors are going to be the same... you're going to have dust and fatigue and everything else. However, having Vista will reduce the longevity further than not having it due to constant pinging of the hardware. The more times a piece of hardware has to work, the more wear and tear it takes and will eventually stop working. Whether you consider it a significant decrease in longevity or not, it doesn't change the fact that there is a difference.

As for disabling devices, I understand how it works. However, I've used protected content in the past and probably will again -- more and more content is going that way. As such, it could easily become a problem. There are many other issues there that are also very real and I'm sure we'll see and feel the effect as time passes.

Anyhow, I'll stop unless others feel like discussing this and other issues. As long as others want to discuss it, I'll discuss it. But, to make you happy, I won't throw it out there out of the blue again. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
However, having Vista will reduce the longevity further than not having it due to constant pinging of the hardware. The more times a piece of hardware has to work, the more wear and tear it takes and will eventually stop working. Whether you consider it a significant decrease in longevity or not, it doesn't change the fact that there is a difference.

- No you're not understanding the triviality of this. Hardware working doesn't necessarily shorten it's lifespan, especially when we're talking about this which is like a drop in the ocean, it's completely irrelevant. Even if there were any shortening involved it would be the difference between your hardware failing at Mar 07 2009 16:15 and it failing at Mar 07 2009 16:16 (although it's just as likely to fail at the exact same time or even remotely possible it could lengthen it's lifespan by an equally negligable amount of time). The only major component of a modern PC that can be considered susceptible to wear-by-use like this is the HDD since it's the only macro-mechanical device left. At this point I should point out that Vista has better indexing and searching facilities than XP or any other version of Windows meaning your HDD just might last longer on Vista than XP if you ever use the file search facility and seeing as the HDD is the only truly important component of the PC (being the one with all your data on) it seems Vista is a winner in the hardware longetivity stakes.

There's a lot of things not to like about Vista, but there's a hell of a lot more FUD going around that doesn't stand up to fact or reason. It'd be nice if it wasn't being spread around here.

O
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
O
ummm heh...just think when XP first came out..alot of BS going around about it too...and the previous versions of windows...its gonan continue no matter what. I like vista, I have some dislikes about it yes. But it helps me organize my files a lot better than before and I like it.

A
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
Have you tried running it as Administrator? I'm using it in Vista Home Premium with no problems.

Link Copied to Clipboard