mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#142367 15/06/06 03:55 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
You're welcome. It's exciting that this once nearly pointless project is suddenly useful. So far I have done much ... for one, the underline bug is fixed. I have gone through all the Latin-based ranges and improved many characters for European and African languages etc. I am trying to keep as much as possible fixedwidth (at least within a given script) this time even when it seems contrary to aesthetics, because I know people use the font for programming and ASCII (unicode?) art.

I have added three complete new scripts, also.

Thai

Tifinagh

Tengwar

I will post more samples for any additional added scripts. I would like to add support for devanagari but I doubt I could implement it correctly.

#142368 15/06/06 09:14 PM
S
S
I just completed the update to Armenian. I think it is a considerable improvement but no matter what, the spacing seems awkward and I don’t know how far I can push the shapes without making it look strange (as I cannot not read Armenian myself). If anyone who reads Armenian sees this, feel free to offer suggestions for improvements.

Armenian

#142369 08/07/06 10:00 AM
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D

#142370 29/07/06 12:44 AM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I was unsure whether to post this here or in the "Bugs" section, but Tjerk asked for feed-back and I couldn't pass out on the opportunity to compliment the author of Fixedsys Excelsior on his fine and laudable work, so here it is - thank you Darien.

Anyway, the issue I have is this:
I was thrilled when 6.17 came out because I deal a lot in strange languages and weird scripts, and indeed - I am grateful to Khaled for upgrading mIRC to support UTF-8, something I had been hoping for in years. But there is an issue that I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere else. Namely this:

I have no problem inputting basic unicode text, like simple Greek letters (ελληνικη) or Japanese (にほんぎ), but whenever I try to input more complex unicode scripts mIRC just gives me replacement characters (boxes or question marks). I think I've narrowed it down to those instances where the script in question uses glyph rearranging features, like with combining characters and the like. For instance if I try to input devanagari (देवनागरी), accented Greek (ἐλληνικῆ) or Latin script with more "exotic" diacriticals (ṃḁśāŭǫṝḱḥm̊q̣̇). I have no problems writing these letters in any other unicode-enabled context. The really weird thing is that I can easily paste these into mIRC and then they'll show up fine - I just can't input them directly into the mIRC channel editbox for some reason.

[edit: Ok, this obviously got garbled into HTML entities, but I'll attribute that to this web forum as I do not normally have any problems writing unicode.]

Another somewhat odd problem I've noticed concerns the Windows function of shifting between installed keyboards. One can of course switch by cliking the icon in the language band and chosing another keyboard, but Windows also allows one to switch by using keyboard shortcuts (in my case left CTRL+SHIFT) which is much preferrable. This works fine, except in mIRC, where it displays some weird behaviour. I normally have five keyboards installed and by pressing this keyboard shortcut, it'll change through them one at a time. But in mIRC, it'll change only between two of them. Say I'm writing something in Danish, I press the shortcut to change to Greek, press it once more, it goes to Hebrew. Then when I press it again, it would normally go through Japanese, Devanagari and then back to Danish, but in mIRC it doesn't - it just keeps changing between Greek and Hebrew, and I have to use the mouse and the language band button to switch back to my standard Danish keyboard layout.

I know this is a bit of a mouthful, but I couldn't seem to find anyone else reporting these issues. I'm kind of fearing that if it isn't a problem specific to my setup or computer, it might be one of those things that'll require a more thorough rewriting of mIRC and cannot be easily fixed, but I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say on this matter.

(I am using mIRC 6.2 on a WinXP SP2.)

/Rasmus

Last edited by bwuser; 29/07/06 12:51 AM.
#142371 03/08/06 07:40 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Have you enabled the multibyte editbox and whatnot? I remember having a few problems because I forgot that in the previous version.

And do you get the same problems if you use a font specifically designed for the language you're typing in, or is it only when relying on font substitution?

Meh, I've got nothing, really. I just had to ask.

#142372 04/08/06 08:50 AM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Quote:
Have you enabled the multibyte editbox and whatnot? I remember having a few problems because I forgot that in the previous version.

And do you get the same problems if you use a font specifically designed for the language you're typing in, or is it only when relying on font substitution?

Yes, to both questions, sadly. Still won't work. But thanks for the suggestions anyway.

/Rasmus

#142373 21/09/06 06:18 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
A font....

#142374 24/09/06 05:20 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
It is not a font issue - I've tried with several fonts all of whom work fine in any other application than mIRC. That is, I can type given unicode text into any other application using a given font - but when I try to do so in mIRC, the problem is there.

/Rasmus

Last edited by bwuser; 24/09/06 05:21 PM.
T
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
T
I've a similar problem, so I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread. Do you have any suggestion for input? I've been trying to figure out how to input IPA into mirc, since I sometimes have linguistic discussions. I use a program called Keyman, which uses a unicode-based keyboard input. I've got the correct fonts, and I could type things in IPA dʒəstʰ fαin (just fine) here for instance smile (Although evidently they don't show up :P) I noticed I could read the fonts when someone else tried to type them, but it came up as ɣ, when i tried to copy/paste. What is mirc doing? And is there anything I can do to fix that?

I'm using Doulos SIL font, which is perfectly utf8 compatible, and winxp with mirc 6.2. I've tried a variety of fonts with the same results.

ther

K
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
K
anyone know if sysfixer has made any progress with fixedsys excelsior? his old site seems to have gone down so ya... just wanted to know if there was any update on the font.

PS: i'm waiting for japanese script support to be added into it.

G
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
Thank you SOOOOO much guys!!

Great feature! Finally I can now use a different charset for non-unicode applications (e. g. Hebrew) and true Unicode apps (foobar2000)!
This is important if you have French Windows but you want to search for music in Hebrew in Soulseek, which is non-unicode (unfortunately).
BUT ... the "Multibyte editbox" option is extremely confusing. It does not tell anything to me, so if I had not read this forum thread I would not have got it working, as UTF-8 enabling is NOT sufficient. I suggest that you do not bother the user with such things and remove it, enabling this internally when the user wants UTF-8. My 2c. mIRC is an application mainly for chats, and if you want to chat in foreign characters, this "Multibyte editbox" is mandatory! Otherwise you will get a lot of question marks in the channel, and users will complain they do not get the characters right.

K
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
K
Hi... I am wondering how come I can't directly type Korean into mIRC? I have to use a another program like Microsoft word to type then I copy and paste it to mIRC then it will work...

When I'm using mIRC window, the language bar will only show "KO Korean"... But when I use the Microsoft Word window, it will show the full bar, "Han/Eng", "Hanja", "Pad"...

How do I configure my mIRC to type Korean words directly?

THANKS A MILLION!!

S
S
I finished Fixedsys Excelsior 3.00 the other day. I hope you like it. Hopefully mIRC will have the complex-script input bugs worked out soon.

http://www.fixedsysexcelsior.com/

--Darien

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard