Print Thread
#172036 04/03/07 01:17 PM
L
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
Hi all,

is there a way to connect to IRC over ssh with mIRC, is there already a script or can it be scripted? I'm firewalled at work but port 22 is open and i have access to an ssh shell from which i can IRC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lorenzo

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
IRC doesn't use SSH. It uses SSL. You could probably make an SSH script, but it wouldn't connect to IRC, it would connect to an SSH daemon.

-genius_at_work

W
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
W
I've done this before. The procedure is relatively simply as long as your shell account that you are logging into allows port forwarding.

Open putty and load the settings for your shell. Then, in the options on the left, go all the way down to 'Connection' > 'SSH' > then 'Tunnels'

In the 'Source Port' text box, put in a port number that you wish to use. (I use 6007) then put the server you wish to connect to (in domain:port format) in the 'Destination' text box. Leave 'local' and 'Auto' option buttons on. Then connect to the shell.

If port forwarding is allowed on the shell, just open mirc and connect to either localhost:6007 (or, whatever port you used) If that doesn't work, get the lan ip of the machine (easy way is via cmd, ipconfig) then connect to that on the port you used.

If all is good, mirc will connect to the irc server you chose as the destination. The connection may be slow (depending on the connection which the shell server is running on) but is manageable. mIRC will behave as if its really connected to the server, it wont know the difference. (though, iirc, $server and $serverip and similar identifiers will see your local address as the server's address)

For more, see Here (Putty Documentation)

I did this to get around school firewalls when I was in highschool :p

(note: directions are for the latest stable build of putty)

K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
You should be able to use the hosts file to redirect your IRC servers (so you can do /server irc.server.net:port, instead of /server 127.0.0.1:port). This should fix the $server and $serverip problems. However, it does seem unrealistic in your situation.

Those who can, cannot. Those who cannot, can.
L
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
Worked great with binaryshells.com thanks!

The only thing is that i actually need to write:
/server irc.freenode.org:6667

to connect, and not my localhost

L.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
well you must be doing something wrong then since this is not the way it should be :-P when typing that you connect to the network as normal, unless you added it to your hosts file with loopback IP and use port 6667 for the tunnel.

what you need to do is figure out the IP of one of the servers of freenode you want to connect to (irc.freenode.org has more then 1 IP associated with it, it's a roundrobin system, pick one of the individual servers). add that to putty's tunnel list, on a nice port (I use ports above 60.000 (e.g.: 60667) most of the time), and use /server localhost:60667 to connect to the server through ssh (putty).

I've never had problems with this before and works like a charm (also on freenode).
but I've never had to use $server and $serverip myself for scripts or anything.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Link Copied to Clipboard