mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
grno Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
i'm behind a router but i have forwarded 113 and i have identd working, so i can connect to any server but i can't join channels. also, i can't /whois or list channels or anything, basically all i can do is connect, i get the motd, and then my client does nothing. any idea what could be causing this? i'm using comcast cable internet with their netgear router.

Last edited by grno; 13/02/07 11:30 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How are you trying to join channels? From the popup channel window or by typing: /join #help ?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
G
grno Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
i have tried both methods, and when i try to retrieve the channel list nothing happens.

here is the really weird part, i got it working yesterday by adding my IP address and hostname to the local info under the mirc options and i WAS able to join channels and everything worked great for awhile. but today i have the same problem as before, and i didn't change any of my settings. i suspect it is related to not being able to look up my hostname, but i really don't understand how i got it working yesterday.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
The only thing I can think of is that the network or server is executing a shun state on you because your hostname doesnt resolve, kinda lame if that what is happening, my hosname dont always resolve either depending on network and I connect join and privmsg just fine. I can only assume that the problem lies server side and that either the dns caching isnt working or it just cannot resolve. As for the possible shun I really never thought any network would use a dumb response to an unresolved hostname but its IRC and many networks do dumb things I guess. Maybe a visit to the networks website and an email to the admins of said network could shed more light on this problem?

Good luck

Happy mIRC user on Linux
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, you could just keep changing your localhost info to the right thing. There is a /localhost command that you could use in your Perform box that may help you out. The only issues I've ever encountered when that was not resolved correctly was that DCC wouldn't work.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
G
grno Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
thanks for the reply.

it gets even more complicated-- i tried using webchat on efnet.org to connect that way and noticed that i actually WAS joining the channels with my mirc client i just wasn't seeing anything on the client. i already tried a fresh install of mirc (on another machine even) and it is exhibiting the same problem. this is really weird ://

W
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
W
some servers require a client to be identified to the services before they are allowed to join any channels. For unreal-ircd, this is channel mode +R (and can be forced to be a default mode for all channels created).

I have this set on the network i manage to help cut down bot attacks.. as most bots connect and try to join a channel to spam. They can't join a channel if its +R wink

Link Copied to Clipboard