S
SlAiD Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Hello,

I found this on your FAQs: http://www.mirc.com/faq6.html#section6-11

If we have on mIRC Options a way to disable (and enable) this option, mIRC can be used more easy with blind people.

This in my point of view:
A blind user cannot use the mouse to copy. As a JAWS (Job Access Wiith Speech: http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/software_jaws.asp) scripter, I was forced to give up from make a copy feature for mIRC because the 'virtual cursor', a cursor that try to do the same that your mouse do, cannot select-press-a-button-and-move in one steep only.

Since mIRC dont use the standart plain text like MSN Window, or the mIRC client X-Chat (for Windows at least...), its impossible to give to blind users a easy way to copy text from mIRC.

I know many blind and low-vision users that access mIRC and use it (with some acessibility problems) but copy things its allways a hard or impossible work.

If the mIRC have an option to change this feature to a standart plain text window in the future, I and many users will thank you for that.

Best regards,
SL

Last edited by SlAiD; 12/02/07 02:31 AM.

#WindowsHelp @ irc.PTnet.org
Windows channel for help and chat, since 2002.

http://www.247tech.info
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Just curious here, but how does a blind person utilise the mouse to copy/paste at all?

I would have assumed (though i suppose incorrectly?) that a blind user of the program to be using the agent and a speach-to-text utility to chat and not using the mouse at all.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Well, I dont know how it all works, but I remember doing tech support on the phone with a guy who used a special program cause he was blind. I dont know how it worked, but if I asked him to do it, as long as the screen was right and the options were there, he could do anything I asked him to do

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Hmm, ok. Genuinly curious.. I have rather deministed vision in my right eye, my brother is blind in one eye (both due to accidents), and my aunt is blind in one and almost blind in the other.

Very curious just how such a person navigates a mouse curser around the screen.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just as a note... I doubt that the mIRC window will change from its current state to a plain text window.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
He means using a standard rich-text control instead of the custom one mIRC uses now.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Omen, the way I THINK it works is like this:

You tab across the screen (and I can't think of many screens - including the desktop) and when it rests on a new icon, it tells you, thru your speakers what item you're sitting on. I remember this guy's computer saying things like:

Control Panel
Dial Dash Up Networking (yes, it read the dash as a word)
Printers

The ONLY problem we ran into was the item I wanted was not in his control panel and there was no other way to do what we needed.

I dont know where one would purchase that type of program, but maybe you could try with your local "blind federation" (no idea what a name for it would be called) and see if they can direct you to the software.

Hope that helps somewhat smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
S
SlAiD Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Om3n
Just curious here, but how does a blind person utilise the mouse to copy/paste at all?

Hi.

When you whrite a reply to me, do the fowlling:
- Press control+end to go to the end of the text
- now press shift+left arrow or top arrow. You will see the text selected.
- When you finished, you can use control+c to copy and control+v to paste.

- - -

Originally Posted By: Om3n
Hmm, ok. Genuinly curious.. I have rather deministed vision in my right eye, my brother is blind in one eye (both due to accidents), and my aunt is blind in one and almost blind in the other.

Very curious just how such a person navigates a mouse curser around the screen.

This was not the whorse cases.
For your aunt I recommend (if you live in US) to visit www.freedomscientific.com and get the last updates and brochures about JAWS for Windows ( Job Acces With Speech ).

I work in a Portuguese dealer of that product. If you need anything else, just send me an e-mail/PM.

- - -

Originally Posted By: landonsandor
Omen, the way I THINK it works is like this:

You tab across the screen (and I can't think of many screens - including the desktop) and when it rests on a new icon, it tells you, thru your speakers what item you're sitting on. I remember this guy's computer saying things like:

Control Panel
Dial Dash Up Networking (yes, it read the dash as a word)
Printers

The ONLY problem we ran into was the item I wanted was not in his control panel and there was no other way to do what we needed.

Actualy you can use it withnnot dot or dash, or you can put the program saying "Icon number <number here> from Control Panel named <name>" and so on. :P

- - -

Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Just as a note... I doubt that the mIRC window will change from its current state to a plain text window.

Me too. But only from a defaut setting.

With a plain text window you can have external scripts/programs doing other jobs on mIRC window if it is active (for example, if X hapening in the screen, Y will be done)

- - -

I hope that in the future mIRC can switch or give an option to do that.

I personaly use mIRC from 1999 and this is the first request/whatever you want to call it that I make. :P

A nice day to all,
Rui Cruz aka SlAiD

Last edited by SlAiD; 20/02/07 08:27 PM.

#WindowsHelp @ irc.PTnet.org
Windows channel for help and chat, since 2002.

http://www.247tech.info

Link Copied to Clipboard