mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
max0101 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
to the ones who said mirc wouldn't have made a good programming language, when I asked about this on various forums some years ago, I hope you now know something about Web 2.0. It is powered by SIMPLE SCRIPTING LANGUAGES SUCH AS RUBY ON RAILS OR PYTHON. And it has made things worth MILLIONS!

KHALED. THINK AGAIN ABOUT THIS, STILL NOTHING TODAY WOULD BE BETTER THAN A SCRIPTING LANGUAGE BASED ON MIRC WITH SOME MORE PROFESSIONAL FEATURES ADDED. AND IF YOU COULD PORT IT TO LINUX AND INCREASE ITS PERFORMANCE (to make it better than python) YOU WOULD HAVE NO RIVALS.

[also because mirc would be the only one you can master by using a simple help file instead of looking through a millions of documents, don't you all agree?]

Of course Khaled, if you made a living by selling mIRC, keep on relaxing..but the world is losing a genius, in my opinion.

Last edited by max0101; 10/02/07 03:07 AM.
B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
Most of users (maybe all of them) out there haven't paid the price for the client (mIRC) which Khaled should be thanked that he is still working and keeping on releasing new versions (or fixed ones) over and over again. keep in your mind that Khaled didn't show us the real work as he could do it. so if people will pay for mIRC someday-somehow (the registering code should be improved) you will see a better client and website.

At the end we all love mIRC. Thanks Khaled.

Kind Regards, blink
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I think you are missing the difference between languages used in 'web 2.0' style websites, and mirc scripting. It is simple, mirc scripting was created for the SOLE purpose of improving the irc experience, it has come a LOT futher than originally intended. Where as languages like ruby on rails, python, JAVA SCRIPT which is actually used for those particular style website much more often than the two you mentioned were NOT created to be used inside a single specific program.

If the change you suggest were to happen, then the very reason you want the change would no longer be valid. The language would become just like the others.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Babel fish
Babel fish
Well said Om3n, I agree, mIRC is what it is, and it is by all means genuine. Just like every person has their own character in the world of people, mIRC has its own, in the world of clients. There is no other way to state it. The originality of this editor speaks for itself, and therefore creates a stand alone hobby for IRC users.

Thats what keeps it interesting, and in my eyes, independantly successful because of it.

Scripto ---- Life is about the relationships. The correct code being: $replace($them,$you,$me)
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well "Web 2.0" isn't really powered by languages like Python or Ruby, it's powered by the XmlHttpRequest object made available in modern browsers by exposing it in client-side languages like Javascript and VBScript. Sure, on the server-side an interpreted language is used but there's nothing new in that, and there are dozens if not hundreds of languages available for that task. So why add another? Like you said, languages like Python and Ruby have really raised the bar on power and simplicity, so if anything that just means there's less of a reason for a general purpose language based on mIRC scripting.

Besides that, I don't think a general purpose language based on mIRC scripting would even work. The number of fundamental changes needed to make a mIRC programming language work effectively outside of the mIRC environment would make it as different from mIRC scripting as any existing language like Perl or Python.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
max0101 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
Well "Web 2.0" isn't really powered by languages like Python or Ruby, it's powered by the XmlHttpRequest object made available in modern browsers by exposing it in client-side languages like Javascript and VBScript. Sure, on the server-side an interpreted language is used but there's nothing new in that, and there are dozens if not hundreds of languages available for that task. So why add another? Like you said, languages like Python and Ruby have really raised the bar on power and simplicity, so if anything that just means there's less of a reason for a general purpose language based on mIRC scripting.

Besides that, I don't think a general purpose language based on mIRC scripting would even work. The number of fundamental changes needed to make a mIRC programming language work effectively outside of the mIRC environment would make it as different from mIRC scripting as any existing language like Perl or Python.

Well, Web 2.0 isn't all about AJAX, in my opinion. And Jeffrey Zeldman appears to share my view honestly.

Furtherly, I still think that if a genius like Khaled would create a general purpose dynamic language it will never be "just like the others".

You appreciate what mIRC scripting is able to do.. From DDE to thousands of other things..It is even able to speak! And it had these features FOR YEARS.

And just one last thing, what would be the point to update mIRC now? It's already perfect, if you don't wanna turn it into an automatic espresso machine of course. [and I guess it could even prepare your coffee now, if you interface your script with the right DLL's and the right pieces of hardware.. smile ]

So all that I'm asking here is why a genious like Khaled isn't working on a project for IBM's R&D, MIT, or Google. Or on a breakthrough programming language.

I don't think you can say he wouldn't have the necessary skills, am I being wrong?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm betting that he doesn't want to. smile

Anyhow, mIRC isn't perfect or else the new versions wouldn't include bug fixes. That isn't to say it's not great, because it is. But "perfect" is not really accurate. Besides, he adds new features that people request (if he thinks the features are good ideas) and that alone makes keeping it updated a good thing.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
max0101 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
I'm betting that he doesn't want to. smile

Anyhow, mIRC isn't perfect or else the new versions wouldn't include bug fixes. That isn't to say it's not great, because it is. But "perfect" is not really accurate. Besides, he adds new features that people request (if he thinks the features are good ideas) and that alone makes keeping it updated a good thing.

In my opinion it is way more than perfect, as a chat client.
I don't know if native support for tunneled SSH connections or any other mean of encryption (like built-in AES text encryption) has been introduced in newer versions, but this would be the only important improvement needed maybe, for a chat client (mIRC should be just that, shouldn't it?)

Anyway, I still think that Khaled could spend his genious on something more rewarding and important, and leave the mIRC project to the opensource community for further development. But it is my opinion, not Khaled's one it seems, so don't you worry.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I doubt mirc will EVER be opensource to be honest and since he makes money off of mirc, why would he charge for a "new language" to make it worth it that most people wouldnt even bother using in the first place? I dont doubt you think he could do other things, but, personally, if he stopped doing mirc and did this web language, I'd prolly stop using the program's newer versions. NOT because it's opensource, but because I believe in his coding ability to have used the program for a decade and countless versions since 3.2 or 3.8 (I forget which was the first version for me to use lol)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Maybe you should stop brown nosing, what makes Khaled stand out is his work on mirc, not his programming ability. He is good, sure, but so is every other succesful programmer out there.

Why dont you make a new general purpose scripting language yourself?

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I agree - mIRC is good because Khaled made it, not because it was made by a competent programmer. It's creativity and ideas that make a program good - you just need programming ability to put them into action.

M
max0101 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
yes you're right, your life, your choice

bye

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I dont see how mIRCScript for web2.0 would be any better then PHP,RUBY,PYTHON or whatever in fact it would only be limiting you a great deal.

I still say however a mirc script compiler for windows apps would absolutely rock for creating simple applications.

$maybe

Link Copied to Clipboard