mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#170529 10/02/07 08:04 AM
D
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
Short time user, first time poster. I recently had a new Anti-Virus system installed on my computer. The effect was stunning. And startling. Every time I would sign onto mIRC, it went crazy. I told it to get rid of the problem, and then mIRC stopped working. So I tried to redownload it, but once again Kaspersky got angry. It said that mIRC was an easy entrance for hackers, and warned against me installing it. I tried to anyways, but now mIRC won't work at all.

My question is this. Is mIRC safe to use? Or is it as big a problem as my Anti-Virus program seems to think? Also, how can I get it reinstalled?

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
There's a security risk due to the fact that some people unwittingly install dangerous scripts when they're not 100% sure they're safe. This is of course a risk caused by user ignorance, not mIRC itself.

If you know what you're doing and are willing to make sure you only load things you know are safe, it's not a problem.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I had the same problem with a firewall I just started using. It kept flagging mIRC as a win backdoor. The only thing that makes miRC unsafe, is script kiddies, writing malacious scripts, and users loading them in mIRC. Just beware what scripts you use. And for the firewall problem, add miRC as a trusted program.

[edit]
Also check your quarantine file list. There should be an option to recover it. But ensure you add an Exception to the mirc.exe file. Otherwise, every time you attempt to run it, it'll get quarantined again. Hope this helps.

Last edited by drc4; 22/02/07 04:03 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard