Print Thread
#17037 27/03/03 08:59 AM
_
_hardy_ Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
_
Hello , i want to have a protection in my script.
I've seen in scripts that it's inposible to open remote and alias etc...

Can someone help me how i can do that ?

Thanks

_hardy_

#17038 27/03/03 09:16 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You have to hex edit mIRC to prevent people from using mIRC to access scripts. Bear in mind that hex editing mIRC is against the licence agreement though. Apart from this (a pointless exercise in itself) there is absolutely no way to prevent people opening the script files as any word processor can open them anyway. (Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc)

You can script in some rip protection but those that know what to look for can get around it anyway. I know for a fact that while I am not a ripper, if I wanted to and felt inclined to do so, I can work my way around any attempt to protect mIRC script files.

It'd be nice to have but there's simply no way of achieving rip protection in any way. And more to the point here, there never can or will be.

#17039 27/03/03 04:18 PM
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
LockEditor

This DLL lets u block the remote/popups/alias icon and menu from being click, but right clicking on the icon will still be able to choose the file to view. Scripts are written in plain text so its hardly possible to prevent anyone from viewing it

blushcoolcrazy frownlaughmadshockedsmile:tongue:wink
#17040 27/03/03 08:32 PM
_
_hardy_ Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
_
Do i have to put only the dll in my mirc or ???

There is no readme file in it , can you give me a little more help plz , tnx

_hardy_

#17041 27/03/03 08:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
well, the point is that most ppl that rip, can and will avoid the protection(s) if they really want to. As for blocking just the average user from ripping you can try a few things..

1. Rename the .mrc/.ini file to something like .zip,.exe,.dat (a different extention) This will throw the average person off in the main file itself.

2. Open the editor, and change font to something not easily read like Wingdings. Also make the font size extremly small, and difficult to read.

3. Make the files in the mirc folder hidden. Most users have "Show all hidden or system files" disabled. This will prevent them from seeing them in the mirc folder.

Just some ideas >:D

-KingTomato
#17042 27/03/03 09:03 PM
H
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
H
Thanks kt you are the gayest. *cough greatest* ;D

#17043 27/03/03 11:04 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Bottom line: you can't. At some point the script must always be parser (and human) readable for mIRC to parse it. There's no way to do it short of putting your scripts inside DLL's which is just plain ridiculous and inefficient. Not to mention the fact that if people can't see your code it strongly makes it look like you have something to hide.

What it comes down to is: have you really scripted something so amazing that it's not been done a dozen times before? And if so why not let people see the code so maybe they can learn from it?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#17044 27/03/03 11:57 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
click the my computer icon ..... find the drive ur mirc is on ..... open it and open the mirc folder ..... click on ANY .mrc.ini or anyfile in the mirc folder that isnt an exe ..... 90% of the time it will say open program with ( being that it isnt an already executable file or a known file type ) ..... click on notepad or wordpad .......

ok now answer me this question ...... can u stop me from doing that to any file u make in a mirc? if u can then thats how u can stop ripping of ur script ...... if u cant then well better luck next time

D3m0nnet.com
#17045 28/03/03 02:51 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not to mention the fact that if people can't see your code it strongly makes it look like you have something to hide.

This is not entirely accurate. Can you see the source for Windows? No. Can you see the source for mIRC? No. Are both trustworthy? Yes (Arguably). Do many scripts that make no attempt to hide code contain war/trojans, etc? Yes, definitely.

It comes down to one thing. Don't get anything open or closed source unless you make sure you know what it does and why.

#17046 28/03/03 12:42 PM
G
GBX Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
Quote:
Can you see the source for Windows?

never heard of windows transmitting user data you can identified with? especially winxp when using windows update service

why you cant see mircs source is because it is written in a programming languange, not a script language
and of course there commercial interests to hide sources

but if you want to hide code you are not intended to sell, than it looks strange

the only reason scripts containing trojans are not hidden is because it is not easy to do so, if possible at all

#17047 28/03/03 01:30 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Beside the point, by phrasing the comments the way Starbuck did he's leading newbies to believe that anything open source is trustworthy, even if this isn't his intention. We all know there is good and bad in open and closed source.

#17048 28/03/03 02:21 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
That is an entirely different situation, both mIRC and Windows are commercial products and would lose substantial amounts of money by opening the source. mIRC scripts on the other hand are not, there's nothing to lose from having an open source script. mIRC and Windows also are written in compiled languages, meaning that the source would be an extra to simply releasing the program, with mIRC scripts the script and the source are one and the same, meaning scripters have to go out of their way to try and hide the source - leaving the question "why would someone put so much effort into something which they don't stand to gain anything from?" - unless of course they do because the source contains trojans etc. That is why hiding the source to mIRC scripts is very suspicious.

Given the context of my reply and the fact that this is a mIRC board I thought it was pretty clear that I was only referring to mIRC scripts.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Link Copied to Clipboard