mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#169905 30/01/07 04:25 PM
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
hello

i have a question , i know somebody that make a script basic mirc with his addons and stuff

but he ask money for it to download it and for you can us it,

is this ok of wrong?

what will say the real maker of this?
khaled mardam-bey in the about i read all rights reserved

can somebody respons on this topic
thanks a lot

HoSTinG,SheLL,IRCD
[url=Http://crazypalace.be][url=Http://crazypalace.be][url=Http://crazypalace.be][url=Http://crazypalace.be]Http://crazypalace.be[/url][/url][/url][/url]
irc.crazypalace.be
SpRiNgEr #169906 30/01/07 04:45 PM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Trying to charge for a script is somewhat pointless, there's no decent way to protect your code. Once you've distributed it to a single customer they can redistribute it without your permission making it available to others without them paying for it.

Bundling mIRC with the code itself and (re)selling it is a direct violation of the license and could cause legal trouble. As is modifying the original .exe to better protect your code.

mIRC script was intended to be an open language for users to learn from one another and produce better code as a result of that openness. Trying to circumvent the open nature of mIRC and charge for your code is not only morally wrong and egotistical, it's insulting to the community as a whole. I urge anyone that finds people attempting to charge money for anything mIRC related, (other than the program itself,) to refrain from making such a purchase and encouraging such behavior.

I'm no lawyer so I won't get into the legal aspects as I cannot speak about them with any real authority, but obviously there may be legal concequences to any such actions as well. I would assume Khaled knows more about the legal end of it all but I don't know if he'll have time to review this thread and comment on it himself.

--
In a nutshell, don't do it.

-
MIMP
MIMP #169912 30/01/07 07:21 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Wow, haven't seen you in awhile. smile

Just to throw in my two cents... you cannot charge for mIRC. If you want to charge for your script, I guess you could do so, but you can't prevent your script from being visible to others or easily shared, so it's pointless. But if you include mIRC with the script and sell it like that, you're breaking the law.

I'd never recommend buying a script for mIRC.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
SpRiNgEr #169920 30/01/07 11:04 PM
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
hello
thx for respons

what can you do about it than? if they breaking the rulez and dont have respect for the maker?

they ask not much but i dont agree what they are doing

who can do something about this

HoSTinG,SheLL,IRCD
[url=Http://crazypalace.be][url=Http://crazypalace.be][url=Http://crazypalace.be][url=Http://crazypalace.be]Http://crazypalace.be[/url][/url][/url][/url]
irc.crazypalace.be
SpRiNgEr #169925 31/01/07 12:20 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If they are charging for mIRC or editing the mIRC program, then they should be reported to Khaled, along with any and all information that you can provide.

If they are charging for their script, but not mIRC, then there's nothing that can be done aside from letting people know that the person is charging for their script and recommending that the script not be purchased.

I have a very hard time believing that a person has written a script that is so good that they are charging for it, and that a similar script hasn't been written by one or more helpers here or on any one of a number of other scripting help sites.

SpRiNgEr #169941 31/01/07 03:26 AM
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
thx for respons

i have mailed tjerk and khaled
but i dont know if they wanna respons on my mail,i hope so

and i have found this on the site here

Copyrights - You are allowed to provide and distribute the mIRC FAQ -as is- by or on any medium as long as you make it available for free. You are not allowed to change anything in the file or charge any amount of money for your services. If you want to copy only certain parts for whatever use, make sure to mention my name and the FAQ as the source of information with every single quote whenever you publish it. © copyright 1995-2006 Tjerk Vonck tjerk@mirc.com

if i understand is it very bad and wrong to ask money for it
what can happen for thoses persons if they break those rulez

HoSTinG,SheLL,IRCD
irc.crazypalace.be
SpRiNgEr #169974 31/01/07 02:37 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually, what you quoted refers to the FAQ if you read it closely. Of course, the same basic copyright is true for the EXE.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
SpRiNgEr #170018 01/02/07 05:38 AM
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
i have got a respons of tjerk
he have say that you only may offer the addons but not mirc included

i have give him a link of the website

the statistieks shows they are more than 700 downloads for that version
and he offers not one but two scripts

HoSTinG,SheLL,IRCD
irc.crazypalace.be

Link Copied to Clipboard