mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
mark4 #168934 17/01/07 12:16 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
At least he didn't make it like Snak, where you have 15m of unregistered chatting time before the application closes.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
Jigsy #168944 17/01/07 01:57 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I've never heard of Snak before this, but if I found a program that closed after 15 minutes without being registered, that program would probably be uninstalled within an additional 15 seconds.

RusselB #168956 17/01/07 08:24 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's for Mac.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
mark4 #168961 17/01/07 01:44 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I completely agree with you about the nag screen, Mark4. However, I wouldn't feel like I should be "honest" when it comes to continue using mIRC or not. To each his own, I guess.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
mark4 #168967 17/01/07 02:36 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you uninstalled, then don't complain. Simple as that. smile

Btw, a titlebar being disabled would make it crippleware as you could not easily see your modes or the channel topics or anything else that may be present in your titlebar without going out of your way to find them in other places.

mIRC never says you are not allowed to use it if you never register it. As such, you don't have to be dishonest to keep using it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #169000 18/01/07 12:47 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Not to do with mIRC, but in relation to the nag-ware topic, I think that the free software available from dqfree.com (looking specifically at their 100% Free Euchre and 100% Free Five Hundred games) have a far more naggy (if that's a word) pop-up. It shows up after about every 4 or 5 hands in a game.

Personally, I don't mind the free versions, but I don't like them enough to upgrade to the paid versions. In addition to the nag screen, there are a number of options that are selectable, but not usable in the free version, and if you try to use them, you get another "nag" screen stating that the item you tried to use is only available in the Pro versions.

mark4 #169374 22/01/07 10:48 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
At my age it would be considered fair to claim that you've just about seen it all but seriously I cannot believe my eyes at the moment. Mark, you sound like every parent's nightmare of a child and I feel sorry for everyone that falls victim to your petulant and hypocritic perorations.

1. Whilst it has been said several times, I will repeat it as I agree with it, and more importantly, the principles behind it: mIRC operates forever, registered or not.

2. mIRC's so-called nag screen is not disruptive and does not even stop the application starting automatically.

3. mIRC has ALWAYS had a nag screen, the only difference being that it is now a dialogue instead of a web page and that it does appear during the free period as well as after the date of expiry.

4. Once again it's been said but worthy of another mention because you seem to fail to see the point relating to the principles of shareware: Computer programmes are issued as shareware because the author wants users to have the option of try before buy. No-where have I ever seen a shareware licence indicate that a user is entitled to a free-for-all before coughing up $20.00 (read: playlunch money) for a licence.

5. Your honesty in buying a licence would mean that the nag screen disappears forever, even if you reload your machine and even if you buy a new machine and load the latest version of Windows and mIRC on it. mIRC probably offers the most generous licence conditions in that respect.

The bottom line here is that your $20.00 would be buying the software you refer to as 'worth paying for' rather than the little dialogue you have been rabbiting on about.

mark4 #185150 05/09/07 08:30 PM
Y
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Y
software should be free. the only reason i still use mIRC after those 30 days (i think i'm on day 992 or something like that) is because the compatibility. if it wasn't that i'd use Vortec IRC (Which i think has a decent interface). But that's just my opinion.

Yamato #185152 05/09/07 08:48 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
software should be free.

- I'm curious to know why you think that. Do you think all products and services should be free? If not, why do you think software is any different from every other product in the world? It seems a lot of people who don't develop software think it should be free, while they'd never dream of providing services in their chosen profession without charge.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Yamato #185159 05/09/07 10:06 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: Yamato
the only reason i still use mIRC after those 30 days (i think i'm on day 992 or something like that) is because the compatibility.

It's times like these that I wish there was a way to actually enforce the revoking of people rights to use software; the fact that you're so blatantly proud of being that selfish is just disgusting. Khaled put in 10 years of his blood, sweat and tears into this product and only asks for a negligible fee, and you're throwing it right into his face. I'm assuming you actually do, but why is it okay for you to pay a chef to cook you food at a restaurant, but it's apparently not okay for you to pay for any software? Logic like that is childish and immature.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard