Print Thread
#166711 14/12/06 12:31 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
When i read the Feature Suggestions in this forum, then in almost every post i see "it can be made by a script", yes thats true, how ever if almost every post got that answer, why even have that part of the forum? almost everything can be made by a script, so no need for Khaled to put anything new in next relese of mirc? Yes many things can be made by scripts, but how ever if someone dont know how to make that script, wouldent it be easyer to have stuff that can be usefull come with mirc when you install it? I dosent say mirc should be a fully loaded script, but stuff people want to see in mirc should be added if Khaled think it's a good idea.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I agree, but sometimes the script is offered as a workaround
or an alternative to use until the request is added if at all.

S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
If they wanted a script, wouldent they ask in scripts and popups ? wink

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
No, not necessarily. For one thing they might not think it's possible to script it. There's nothing wrong with suggesting a workaround until something is included in mIRC, or in case it never is.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
J
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
what if someone else browsing the forum IS interested in a workaround? :P i don't see why posting your ideas, even if not specifically asked for, should be frowned upon

and i'm always interested in seeing what ingenious methods people like qwerty have up their sleeve ;D

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
if they read that part of the forum, then almost every post in there have "it can be scripted" or something close to it. as the topic says in it "Feature Suggestions", nothing about workarounds. i think that part of the forum is made to let people post stuff they want to see in the next version of mirc? smile not a workaround? smile

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I just looked at a dozen or so of the latest feature suggestions, I can't see any where someone has said a feature shouldn't be added because it can be scripted. A couple have a "workaround for now" script attached to them, but what's wrong with that? Posting a script doesn't mean the feature suggestion isn't valid.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I didnt say "it shouldent", but everything can be scriptet in some way, no need to post that over and over again. doint point to anyone, just that it's not what that part of the forum is for smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It depends on the request. Some things are so easily scripted, and are things that relatively few people would use, that adding them to mIRC itself would seem pointless. I have seen some posts stating that it can be scripted. I'm sure I've said similar a few times. The answers are all meant to be useful and if you tell someone that something can be scripted, they may be perfectly happy to know that and will use a scripted method.

Just because someone posts there doesn't mean that they are really posting in the right place. Sometimes people don't even know that a feature is already available and will post there. Other times, like I said, it's something that would not be used by many people and is easy enough to script that it doesn't make sense to add it to mIRC.

And then there are things that people don't want to see added to mIRC even though others do want to see them added. But that's an entirely different situation.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard