mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
413815 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
The "colour" command and identifier do exactly the same thing that the "color" command and identifier do. Theres no need to have both of them. Since "color" is the more widely used term (according to google), it should remain the only one.

The major motivation behind this is because the spelling of "colour" is clearly unamerican, and i've been getting a few letters from the department of homeland security concerning this matter. It's just too simple of a change to put up so much resistance over. It's just not worth it.

Also, another reason why /colour should be removed is to break backward compatibility. Backward compatibility encourages really lazy scripting and encourages the use of thrid party scripts without learning scripting first. Backward compatibility is a reason that most of the spamming, annoying, flooding, and exploitation scripts from yesteryear are still in use. I understand that none of those 4 types of scripts would use the /colour command, but It's a noble cause and as heartwarming as the motive is, I just don't buy it.

Also, can you imagine how badly the /colour command is promoting incorrect spelling? What if sesame street started teaching toddlers how to spell incorrectly. They wouldn't even know it was incorrect, and before you know it, we'd all wind up canadian without even moving.

And finally, the reason i bring this up is because I'm a close personal friend of Khaled's, and i know how much he hates people that have two-digit IQ's. I know how much he would love to "stick it to the man", "scam the scammers", and "give em a floppsy-dopsy ching-change turnaround".

In conclusion, I urge you to vote for this un-feature request because I know you'll do the right thing. Think about it this way: If you agree with me, then vote for me because I'm right. If you don't agree with me, then vote for me and use the same reason that 40 million americans did when they voted for the WRONG president. I still don't know what that reason is, but if I can use it to change mIRC for the better, then go me.

Your friend in time,
Alexis.

Last edited by 413815; 26/11/06 02:52 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I don't use these (yet), however, as a Canadian, I was brought up spelling colour with the u in place. Both are technically correct.

BTW: The spelling with the U is the British spelling, not Canadian.

I disagree with your suggestion and will be disappointed to say the least if Khaled implements it.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
No offence, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum. Almost every 'reason' is either irrelevant or is actually a reason to keep the commands.

Quote:
The major motivation behind this is because the spelling of "colour" is clearly unamerican,

Clearly unamerican? Imagine that. Since Khaled, and therefore mIRC, are both from the UK, it seems to me that the /color and $color commands were added simply for the convenience of american users. If Khaled chose to remove one or the other, he should remove the one that isn't part of his language. If you are worried about unamerican, you're going to die when you see how Khaled has used 'grey', 'behaviour', etc throughout the help file.

Quote:
... and i've been getting a few letters from the department of homeland security concerning this matter.

You've been getting letters about homeland security regarding the fact that mIRC has a /colour command? That is absolutely rediculous. Those people should be spending their time on things that are actually matters of US national security.

Quote:
It's just too simple of a change to put up so much resistance over. It's just not worth it.

Not worth keeping the /colour command? Seems to me that it would be more trouble and effort for Khaled to remove the command than it is for him to do nothing. What would you say if Khaled said he was removing the /color command? Would we be able to say that "It's just too simple of a change to put up so much resistance over"?

Quote:
Also, another reason why /colour should be removed is to break backward compatibility.

I think the goal of most programming languages is to maintain backward compatibility whenever possible, as long as doing so doesn't hinder the advancement of that language. Somehow I don't think that /colour is holding mIRC back in any way.

Quote:
Backward compatibility encourages really lazy scripting and encourages the use of thrid party scripts without learning scripting first.

Backwards compatibility may (in some rare instances) allow (not encourage) lazy scripting, but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether people will use third party scripts without learning scripting first. I suspect that you didn't read through the source code of Windows before you started using it, did you? I didn't think so. It's unreasonable for the end-user to have to read through and understand the entirety of every bit of software before they use it.

Quote:
Backward compatibility is a reason that most of the spamming, annoying, flooding, and exploitation scripts from yesteryear are still in use. I understand that none of those 4 types of scripts would use the /colour command, but It's a noble cause and as heartwarming as the motive is, I just don't buy it.

Obviously, /colour isn't used in "the scripts from yesteryear", but could you give some examples of other mIRC commands that were maintained for backwards compatibility and were the cause of any of those spamming/annoying/flooding/exploitation scripts? Removing one of those backwards-compatible commands may inadvertently make some of those script no longer work, but at the same time it would break far more legitimate scripts for no good reason. For example, the $() (alias to $eval()) identifier, was maintained because it is used throughout a large majority of existing mIRC scripts. And come to think of it, /colour doesn't exist for backwards compatibility, it likely exists because Khaled added it first, and then added /color when the Americans complained that they couldn't spell colour (or something like that).

Quote:
Also, can you imagine how badly the /colour command is promoting incorrect spelling? What if sesame street started teaching toddlers how to spell incorrectly. They wouldn't even know it was incorrect,...

OMG, you are absolutely correct. The inclusion of /colour in mIRC will lead to the downfall of civilization. No wait, my mistake; it will lead to the downfall of AMERICAN civilization only. I have to say that anyone who is learning to speak by reading the mIRC help file is undoubtedly doomed from the beginning.

Quote:
...and before you know it, we'd all wind up canadian without even moving.

Haha, you wish you could be Canadian. I've travelled to Europe, and I see how Americans have to hide the fact that they are American, just so they don't get mugged in the streets. In fact, I know that many Americans put CANADIAN insignia (Canadian flags, etc) on their person and luggage when they travel abroad. I could also throw in the fact that no one flies planes into Canadian buildings, but that might be in bad taste.

Quote:
And finally, the reason i bring this up is because I'm a close personal friend of Khaled's, and i know how much he hates people that have two-digit IQ's.

I doubt that you are anything to Khaled. I suspect that the only reason you know his name, is because it is in the mIRC about window.

Quote:
I know how much he would love to "stick it to the man", "scam the scammers", and "give em a floppsy-dopsy ching-change turnaround".

I have no idea what that even means..

Anyway, it is my opinion that both /color and /colour should be kept, simply because I don't see any relevent reason to remove one or the other.

-genius_at_work

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
No offence, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum. Almost every 'reason' is either irrelevant or is actually a reason to keep the commands.

Quote:
The major motivation behind this is because the spelling of "colour" is clearly unamerican,

Clearly unamerican? Imagine that. Since Khaled, and therefore mIRC, are both from the UK, it seems to me that the /color and $color commands were added simply for the convenience of american users. If Khaled chose to remove one or the other, he should remove the one that isn't part of his language. If you are worried about unamerican, you're going to die when you see how Khaled has used 'grey', 'behaviour', etc throughout the help file.

Quote:
... and i've been getting a few letters from the department of homeland security concerning this matter.

You've been getting letters about homeland security regarding the fact that mIRC has a /colour command? That is absolutely rediculous. Those people should be spending their time on things that are actually matters of US national security.

Quote:
It's just too simple of a change to put up so much resistance over. It's just not worth it.

Not worth keeping the /colour command? Seems to me that it would be more trouble and effort for Khaled to remove the command than it is for him to do nothing. What would you say if Khaled said he was removing the /color command? Would we be able to say that "It's just too simple of a change to put up so much resistance over"?

Quote:
Also, another reason why /colour should be removed is to break backward compatibility.

I think the goal of most programming languages is to maintain backward compatibility whenever possible, as long as doing so doesn't hinder the advancement of that language. Somehow I don't think that /colour is holding mIRC back in any way.

Quote:
Backward compatibility encourages really lazy scripting and encourages the use of thrid party scripts without learning scripting first.

Backwards compatibility may (in some rare instances) allow (not encourage) lazy scripting, but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether people will use third party scripts without learning scripting first. I suspect that you didn't read through the source code of Windows before you started using it, did you? I didn't think so. It's unreasonable for the end-user to have to read through and understand the entirety of every bit of software before they use it.

Quote:
Backward compatibility is a reason that most of the spamming, annoying, flooding, and exploitation scripts from yesteryear are still in use. I understand that none of those 4 types of scripts would use the /colour command, but It's a noble cause and as heartwarming as the motive is, I just don't buy it.

Obviously, /colour isn't used in "the scripts from yesteryear", but could you give some examples of other mIRC commands that were maintained for backwards compatibility and were the cause of any of those spamming/annoying/flooding/exploitation scripts? Removing one of those backwards-compatible commands may inadvertently make some of those script no longer work, but at the same time it would break far more legitimate scripts for no good reason. For example, the $() (alias to $eval()) identifier, was maintained because it is used throughout a large majority of existing mIRC scripts. And come to think of it, /colour doesn't exist for backwards compatibility, it likely exists because Khaled added it first, and then added /color when the Americans complained that they couldn't spell colour (or something like that).

Quote:
Also, can you imagine how badly the /colour command is promoting incorrect spelling? What if sesame street started teaching toddlers how to spell incorrectly. They wouldn't even know it was incorrect,...

OMG, you are absolutely correct. The inclusion of /colour in mIRC will lead to the downfall of civilization. No wait, my mistake; it will lead to the downfall of AMERICAN civilization only. I have to say that anyone who is learning to speak by reading the mIRC help file is undoubtedly doomed from the beginning.

Quote:
...and before you know it, we'd all wind up canadian without even moving.

Haha, you wish you could be Canadian. I've travelled to Europe, and I see how Americans have to hide the fact that they are American, just so they don't get mugged in the streets. In fact, I know that many Americans put CANADIAN insignia (Canadian flags, etc) on their person and luggage when they travel abroad. I could also throw in the fact that no one flies planes into Canadian buildings, but that might be in bad taste.

Quote:
And finally, the reason i bring this up is because I'm a close personal friend of Khaled's, and i know how much he hates people that have two-digit IQ's.

I doubt that you are anything to Khaled. I suspect that the only reason you know his name, is because it is in the mIRC about window.

Quote:
I know how much he would love to "stick it to the man", "scam the scammers", and "give em a floppsy-dopsy ching-change turnaround".

I have no idea what that even means..

Anyway, it is my opinion that both /color and /colour should be kept, simply because I don't see any relevent reason to remove one or the other.

-genius_at_work

413815 Offline OP
OP Offline
I find it hilarious how much time you spent refuting an obvious joke/trolling post. Do you take everything literally and as seriously as that?

roffles,
alexis

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
At what point was it made clear that you were joking? As far as I could tell from your original post, the answer is none.

If you're going to make a joke post, you should indicate that it's a joke (and put in the General Discussion forum). Khaled does read and take all posts made in the Feature Suggestions forum seriously, since there's no way for him to know if you were joking or not.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You know... generally, I like kids. But when I find them on the Internet, I truly despise them. frown

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
I picked it up pretty clearly from
Quote:
i've been getting a few letters from the department of homeland security concerning this matter

:P

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
I didn't read that far - it was only in RusselB's(?) answer that I saw that; then checked my calendar to make sure I hadn't suddenly lost four months. smile

Sais
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
I find it hilarious how much time you spent refuting an obvious joke/trolling post. Do you take everything literally and as seriously as that?

roffles,
alexis

I for one didn't know you was kidding smirk Must be the years of chatting online that taught me to never underestimate the power of the weirdo's. In any case i find it hilarious that you find it hilarious that he spent so much time on replying whilst you spend so many minutes of your life making a joke about the /colour command.

And now im part of the joke for replying myself ;(

$maybe
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
thanks for this post, i just assumed that /color and $color were the only available commands/identifiers. I can 'fix' all my scripts now.

btk cool

billythekid
J
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Quote:

roffles,
alexis

he one upped you and you broke character, he wins!

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I have my scripts check what country there in and use the correct spelling for there location, thats the most diplomatic method. :-)

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
I have my scripts check what country there in and use the correct spelling for there location, thats the most diplomatic method. :-)

umm, their :-) Forgot to run the script this time! :-) cool

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
actualy i think the script decided i was talking in the ummm no idea what sence, but like when someone says "there in lies the solution"

The script runs the country (/me points) there in!

Mahahaha oh shutup i cant spell ok!

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
You appear to be able to spell "OK", just not much else ;P

And in any case, your script presumably doesn't care about grammar. "There" is as valid a word as "their" is as valid a word as "they're", they just mean completely different things!

Last edited by Sais; 27/11/06 11:37 AM.

Sais
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
no i thought OK was spelt O K ! see i got it wrong!

J
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
J
Thats Okay.

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I thought it was pretty clear. Jokes don't have to have "I AM A JOKE" in them somewhere.

Link Copied to Clipboard