Print Thread
M
Morien Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone,

Up until till two days ago, I could DCC send/chat perfectly, all my port settings where fine and router was forwarding perfectly. Then suddenly I started getting

[10053] Software caused connection abort, whenever I tried to send a file or initiate a chat. The other parties *are* getting my proper IP address though (not my internal IP). I don't know what could have changed and the only program I've installed is Acrobat 8. Every other net application I have is working fine, its only irc clients and only when I try to DCC send. DCC receives are working fine. There's no ISP disconnect either. Any ideas on things to try?

Morien

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Is your ISP british telecom aka a BT network?

There experencing "technical difficulties" whch translates to there disconnecting you from the irc server anytime they detect a dcc session message (on purpose).

See if u can manually invoke the disconnection by typeing

//msg not-a-real-nick $chr(1) $+ DCC CHAT chat 2130706433 1024

M
Morien Offline OP
OP Offline
M
That doesn't seem to do anything specific for me, but yes it is BTinternet. Who, I have to say, have therefore lied to me not only once about the source of the problem, but have asked I pay £25 to even open a case to discuss it..

Incredible..

Do you have any more information about the problem Carpal?

K
K
I am on BT Broadband aswell and am also unable to send/receive DCC

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
yeah this just started for me too, also on BT. I suspected it was them when a friend of mine in the states had gets break and it turned out to be her ISP too. I am able to send fine, and the get trouble is intermittent as I managed to recieve a .jpg from someone fine, but a .zip and a .mp3 both said no.

I don't use the default ports either I wonder how they do it.

Time for mass calls to BT I think.

btk

billythekid
W
W
i am also on bt internet , until 4 days ago everything was working fine , but now i can no longer send or receive files ?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Nothing you can do about it except start bugging them constantly to fix the problem.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B

billythekid
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
you know how you fix that problem billy

You send them a letter telling them "I seem to be unable to read your bill, untill you send me more info on how i can resolve this problem I wont be able to do so, so expect delays in recieving your bill payment" then put a small note at the bottom, saying " I beleive this issue may be connected to your blocking of IRC DCC sessions " if u dont think so well please send me your reasoning in triplicate so i can not read them either "

Try a SSL connection, if the irc traffic is encrypted one would logic that they cant detect the strings there using to trip the disconenct on.

N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
Try a SSL connection, if the irc traffic is encrypted one would logic that they cant detect the strings there using to trip the disconenct on.

Well Dave you hit the nail on the head there
I sent it to a user, he tried it and it works.

instructions:-
install win32openssl on your computer
in tools options .. connect / servers, add a new connection
Description = Summat like "ssl connection"
IRC Server = either irc.yournetwork.com or an individual server . note , change yournetwork.com to that of teh network you are on.
ports = +6697 note . must have the +
Group = What ever group you choose.
then go to options under connect and click on retry
uncheck "try next server in group"
ok all the way out of tools options and then reconnect
that's it .....
a good source for win32openssl is :-
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

M
Morien Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Is there a way to use this workaround on a server that doesn't support SSL?

N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
actually i forgot to mention The server must support ssl and you will need the latest ver of mirc

P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
mad
Regarding all these messages regarding the issue with bt. i would like to add the following ,,
i have been dcc ing for years and only 2 weeks ago i started having the same probs , so i phoned bt ,(oh by the way ,,, i live in Cardiff, South Wales)
they give me the usual garbage about lets try run, command ,ipconfig ,etc,saying yes you are getting out ,,, but when i explained about i cant dcc send or recieve ,they said ,,,, we understand your concern,,,, well i think that they are following a strict protocol in saying ,,we understand your concern ,,,,cos i think that if they answer with something that just comes out of their heads ,, they may slip up..
I told the man that i know the problem concerning 6667, and you know, but youWONT tell me ,,,, he just said ,,,we understand your concern,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmm i wonder if we are talking to bots when we ring these places,,,,,

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
mmmmmmmm i wonder if we are talking to bots when we ring these places

probably not, but I'd put money on it that they're reading from a script and don't really know the difference between "tech support" and telemarketing.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
A
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
A
BT's antics are just another thorn in the side of DCC transfer.
We at irc.chillbase.net have introduced web transfer (only need port 80 open) for those that have trouble configuring routers etc.
This of course solves the BT problem too.
Feel free to try it if you wish.......
log on to server...moorland.chillbase.net
go to channel #support, and register.
after registering, go to #miracle and follow screen instructions.
And thats all there is to it.
It's pure leech, no need to set up any sharing script.
Just type !find <filename>
I hope this solves your problems folks.
Sorry forgot to mention, this is a karaoke network.

Last edited by axia; 06/12/06 11:08 AM.
S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
Hi, I too am having loads of problems with Bt, mirc is always disconnecting,freezing,not sending,i'm being ignored, you name it, so I rang Bt last night and was on for over an hour with them promising me that they would fix my problems but it hasnt worked unfortunatley, and i'm pretty gutted cause i've only just joined Bt and have signed up to a 12 month contract. Sake.............

N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
I am constantly hearing rumours that the music industry has bought into British Telecom and are insisting that they block dcc sends
BT will deny it, cos they know they will have no customers. when you call BT you are talking to someone in India who didn't know what a computer looked like until the 4th day of their training.
They do not know what is irc or has ever heard or irc.
However for every problem there is a solution.
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
for a copy of win32openssl.exe

this way you can connect to any network that supports ssl and get your files.
and hello axia ... how are ya .. slev still around?

ps ... don't forget to upgrade to mirc ver 6.21

Last edited by NoZparker; 13/12/06 12:39 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: sandrame
and have signed up to a 12 month contract. Sake.............

Ugh... If at all possible, AVOID ever signing up for a year contract on most things - especially internet and website hosting. You'll only regret it later. If that's your only internet provider and they only allow you to use them if you sign the year contract, then there isn't much you can do... but if you have a choice, don't sign any year long contracts.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard