N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
Code:
alias tokenize { echo -a TEST: $1- }
alias toktest { tokenize 32 $1- }

Results from typing: "/toktest This is a test"...

TEST: 32 /toktest This is a test
TEST: 32 This is a test

You might be noticing that two lines were echoed... wink

Is there anything useful that we can do in an aliased "/tokenize"? If not, should altering "/tokenize" even be allowable? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping this if it can be used somehow. smile

BTW, will someone refresh me on how an alias can get its own name...
Code:
; Will return "aname" - the aliases name
alias aname { return $(someidentifer) }

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
I can't reproduce this, I get the expected result:

TEST: 32 This is a test

As for altering /tokenize, all built-in commands can be overriden by design, I don't think Khaled should get in the business of making exceptions to whatever commands scripters see fit. If you're worried about the existence of a /tokenize alias (eg in released code) you can always use /!tokenize.

As for getting the currently executing alias name, there is no way and I don't see why anybody would need that. Getting the calling alias, now that could be of some use, but getting the alias itself? You already know which alias you're writing :tongue:

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't reproduce it, either.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
10 to 1 he has an ON INPUT event that is tokenizing the line at some point in its code so hes just recieving the echo from that command.

N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
Quote:
(DaveC) 10 to 1 he has an ON INPUT event that is tokenizing the line at some point in its code so hes just recieving the echo from that command.

Dave is correct, that was the problem. laugh
Code:
; Add this line
on *:input:*:{ tokenize 32 $1- }

You can't re-alias "if"... I still believe /tokenize and for that matter /set, shouldn't be allowed to be re-aliased. There is no need to change these and it just introduces potential for abuse. At the very least it would be nice to have an option in "mIRC Options -> Other -> Lock -> Disable" that can be checked. smile

BTW, Don't try this with /set (if you are running alot of scripts), you will seriously screw up your settings. frown

Quote:
(qwerty) As for getting the currently executing alias name, there is no way and I don't see why anybody would need that. Getting the calling alias, now that could be of some use, but getting the alias itself? You already know which alias you're writing :tongue:

I like to paste this debug handling line at the end of events and aliases (only using $& here to shorten line, it's normally all on one line)...
Code:
goto end | :error | .signal -n DEBUG $&
  $+($script, $chr(160), $scriptline, $chr(160), $error, $chr(160), $1-) | :end

I would like to have the alias name sent to the debug signal (can get $event, but not $alias). Now if I go to paste this debug handler in to my 10,000 aliases, I really don't want to manually enter an alias name in to each one, or manually edit each one if I want to change this code. Which is why I don't have the alias name in the code.

Furthermore, if you do need to make a change, this line of text is the same in every alias, so "search and replace" can be used to change all of them at once! smile

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Querty mentioned the more usefull ability to get the alias that called the current one, and this would resolve your issue also, rather than having hundreds of lines u need to update as you said in a search and replace, each line simply calls the one alias $DEBUG.ALIAS($script,$scriptline,$error,$1-) and that displays the $callingalias (made up) identifier allowing all needed info to be shown.

N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
Quote:
Querty mentioned the more usefull ability to get the alias that called the current one...

Huh? You mean, as a feature suggestion in another thread? He didn't say anything about being able to get the calling alises in this thread...

Yes, this would be nice too. smile

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
im reading in flat mode, its up near the top of the page.

N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
My whole point is there are "reserved words" in any programming language. There is nothing "wrong" with "reserving" /tokenize and /set from alterations.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Yes there is, /SET for example you might want to add special features to, such as value change tracking for debugging purposes, or simple value change critical info backup or even more advanced flags for vars such as maybe /set -aN,[$identifier|%var|N2] %variable which ever N seconds well adjust the value of %variable by the returned value of $identifier or %var or N2

There could be any number of reasons someone might want to intercept /tokenize (although i cant think of any personally)

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I can't figure why you would need to 'reserve' those particular commands as opposed to any others. mIRC already has the ability to ignore aliased commands by using the !prefix. If you are worried about someone's command alias breaking your code, you can simply prefix the relevent commands with !command.

Maybe a command that disables all aliases in a script. Example:

Code:
alias set echo -a SET is not allowed
alias mytest {

set -s %var value
;Echos "SET is not allowed"

aliases off
;Disables aliased commands

set -s %var value
;Echos "Set %var to value"

aliases on
;Enables aliased commands
}

And maybe switches with the /aliases command:
/aliases -aiglpuN on/off

-a = all aliases
-i = invert settings
-g = aliases not in current script
-l = aliases in current script
-p = previous settings
-uN = undo changes in N seconds

And an identifier too:

$aliases returns delimited (space, comma, etc) string that contains the state of global/local aliases.

The aliases should probably revert to their previous state after the script finishes running.

-genius_at_work

N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
Leaving /set out of the picture for now...

An aliased /tokenize screws with this commands ability in a non-productive way, look at this...
Code:
alias tokenize {
  tokenize $1-
  ; Probably does nothing, but...
  return $result 
}
alias test {
  tokenize 32 $2-
  echo -s TEST: $1-
}

Command: "/test 1 2 3"
Expected Output: "TEST: 2 3"
Actual Output: "TEST: 1 2 3"

I actually would like to be able to mess with /tokenize right now, then I could script this.

The problem here is, unlike /set (which passes %Var without evaluating it), $2- IS being evaluated before passing the argument. An aliased tokenize would need to see the text "32" in it's $1 and the text "$2-" in it's $2 (rather than what $2- has evaluated to), so that it can pass to mIRC's internal /tokenize properly. I can't see any way to alias tokenize without breaking it's ability to tokenize.

Last edited by NaquadaServ; 15/11/06 09:28 PM.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Actually thats not the problem at all i think,
The 32 and the $2- is passed as needed to he alias and that tokenizies it correctly out of the $1-, the problem arrises that this only occurs in the alias that was called, so it does not effect the $1- in the calling alias, Thus apon return to the calling alias the original $1- is still intacked, as with any alias called not effoecting the callers $1-.

This I do see as a significant problem and with that in mind, i would agree that tokenize maybe should be made a special case, and not be aliasable, or at least from now on im going to use /!tokenize in my scripts.

Just back on the /SET alias
Its interesting to note that if you create a /SET alias and then say did /SET %var 1 that the $1 = "%var" and $2 = "1" the %var does not get evaluated, just as it would not in the case of the original /SET cmd, this appears to hold for anything command with speical properties like /set.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
To affect the current alias's parameters, you would have to do something like !tokenize 32 $tokenize($instok($2-,32,1,32)) - which kind of defeats the object.!

Sais
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
If i was the designer I would personally make tokenize a special case command, that if its overridden, then what ever $1- is as it exits, becomes the $1- of the calling alias.

How easy/hard this might be i have no idea.

Link Copied to Clipboard