Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
I've just installed mIRC and when I try to connect all I get is this:
Code:

Connecting to efnet.demon.co.uk (7000)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.blessed.net (6667)
-
-
* Connect retry #2 irc.he.net (6666)
-

* Connect cancelled
-
* Connecting to irc.easynews.com (6660)
-
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.blackened.com (6668)

-
* Connect retry #2 irc.efnet.net (6667)
-
-
* Connect retry #3 198.3.160.3 (6667)
-

What am I doing wrong?

I
Babel fish
Babel fish
I
your firewall is probably blocking mirc.
look in your firewall and set mirc as allowed

M
MarEll Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M

These are the settings I currently have.

Edit: Ok, even with the routers firewall turned off I still get the same errors.

Last edited by MarEll; 30/10/06 04:12 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but you have mIRC in there twice ... once with a single port, once with a port range that includes that first port. That conflict could potentially be the problem. Just remove the 6667 (single port) one. Also, make sure that you are the computer that has an IP ending in 100.

Also, I'd recommend forwarding the identd port (113) on TCP as well. It probably isn't the problem, but it still makes connecting easier on various networks.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Please read carefully as many may people seem to not understand this ---> You need NO PORTS FORWARDED to connect to an irc server.

More likely than not some odd error has occured.
Have you followed these steps they normally cause things to become better.

(1) Restart the pc & router, and try again
(2) windows START > RUN > IPCONFIG /flushdns > OK, and try again
(3) windows START > RUN > CMD > ping irc.serveraddress.net > take IP address and type in mirc /SERVER 1.2.3.4 (the ip address here)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd also add that if you're going to try restarting computer/router, you should restart the modem and router in a specific order (the computer doesn't really need to be done in a specific order)...

First, turn off both router and modem. Then, turn on the modem and wait until it is ready (for most modems I have sen, all lights except the PC Activity light will be solid). Then, turn on the router and wait until it is ready. This one, you'll have to wait and see when it's ready as routers really vary a lot for what lights are on and whether they are blinking or solid. To test to see if it's ready, you can try loading a website like Google in your browser.

The main thing is that turning on the router before the modem is on and ready can make it so it won't work (until you turn them on in the correct order).

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I never mentioned it basicly becuase, he doesnt have a modem.

WAG54G is a Wireless ADSL Gateway, you can just see it saying that in the pics :-)

You can also see his version number is 1.02.7 which i believe is one of the newer "Im to clever for myself" firmwares that have the problem, ill stick with my "dump but do what im told" Firmware Version: 1.00.39 thanks Linksys!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sorry. I didn't look at the header of the pic. smile

I like my Xterasys router. It is simple and easy and works perfectly.

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Well I would normally say linksys work perfectly and well even, I mean they are owned by cisco and all :-) But allas i think because there targeted at the home and small bussiness while the ciscos are for medium/big bussiness that there now starting to put all these wierd "well help the poor noobs" internal features into them, Its not like its a bad feature, just a nice extra options page where you can turn it off or on might be the trick!

Can you dcc chat/dcc send your self with your router? or well it fail? (im meaning either same mirc/same machine different mirc/different pc but all inside the lan)

My linksys's both do it, its something about translating router WAN address back to the lan.
I know some people cant, they attempt to connect to themselfs and it tries to go out the router to there own IP and that doesnt seem to work, i think the ISP just ignores it or something.
The linksys's i have (earlier firmwares) resolve this by turning the packet around and treating it like its coming back into the router apparently (dont quote me thats exactly what there up to).

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, I send to myself all the time. Part of an search script I wrote involves sending data to our bot on a regular basis. Never had a problem with it.

Invision Support
M
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
M
Ive gotten the connection refused error when using certain ports. I tried a differnt port and it worked, it is something on the server side at least it was for me. so try a different port and cross ur fingers smile

#163485 22/11/06 03:26 PM
B
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
B
can someone tell me what the message " connection timed out " means?

#163486 22/11/06 07:05 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
can someone tell me what the message " connection timed out " means?

that means that the server you're trying to connect to is not available at the moment. Try a different server in the same group.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard