Print Thread
H
HaleyJ Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
H
Greetings:
Just wondering if an option for changing or halting the default version reply will ever be added. (as you can do with all other CTCP requests) I just think it would be a nice option to have.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I doubt it, since its been hard coded in, that if u accepted a /ctcp version request then mirc well reply with its version. Just stop accepting he version requests maybe?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
No.

Mentality/Chris
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In older versions, it wasn't hard to disable the default version reply. Khaled changed it so you couldn't easily disable it. So, I doubt he'll change it back.

Keep in mind that most people on IRC use mIRC, so it isn't like you are really hiding anything by hiding the version reply. I really don't see any reason to hide it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
Quote:
In older versions, it wasn't hard to disable the default version reply. Khaled changed it so you couldn't easily disable it. So, I doubt he'll change it back.

Keep in mind that most people on IRC use mIRC, so it isn't like you are really hiding anything by hiding the version reply. I really don't see any reason to hide it.

-snippety snip-

Moderator note: We don't help with changing the default version reply, as Khaled doesn't really like it.

Last edited by Mentality; 25/10/06 08:33 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Do you not understand that if Khaled doesn't want it removed, that posting a way to remove it is against the rules? mad

Invision Support
P
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
yes, I totally understand. going against the rules in this case does not bother me.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
lol, here we go again, the post well get locked any second.

Personally I think everyone should be intitled to what ever level of privacy they wish to have.

That being said you can always just go /ignore -t *!*@* and you well not reply to anyone who /ctcp's u at all.

(you may find that a worse solution that a cure!)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Privacy?

The response to a version request infringes on privacy a LOT less than /whois does, or /dns. Yes, you can fake that as well. The point is that all it says is that you are using mIRC. So what? Why does that matter?

Anyhow, being that this is an official forum, showing how to bypass what Khaled chooses to not allow is not a good thing to do. Other sites can be used to offer such things.

He has allowed blocking all ctcp events for those who hate the idea of version replies. Yes, it screws with anything else you want to do that needs a ctcp reply, but that is the choice of the user.

Invision Support
H
HaleyJ Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
H
Hi
Alot of free clients have this feature,
i have seen a number of these requests on the forums and i started this thread because i thought it should at least be considered. It maybe a bit weird but i would prefer to hide the client i am using on IRC. That said it is not absolutley neccessary and would still use mIRC over any other client.
Kind regards

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Funny thing is theres actually instructions on the forums on how to do it, just that there is a typo in the description of the thread so no one ever finds it.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
Privacy?

/ctcp nick version
^ thats directed at you..... privacy issue.

/whois nick & /dns nick
^ there directed at the irc server.... not private becuase you offered this info to the irc server to connect, if they deem it private between u and them they can block it.

That being said.... I personally dont mind replying with my version of mirc, i just like the choice of if to do it, i think most people are like that, you take something away from people they dont care about either way and you sure quickly find that there pretty upset about it, saying "but u never used it anyway" just doesnt seem to carm them.

Quote:
He has allowed blocking all ctcp events for those who hate the idea of version replies. Yes, it screws with anything else you want to do that needs a ctcp reply, but that is the choice of the user.

Kalhed also allowed u to selectively block ctcp events to any one nick for any amount of time, which reduces this problem considerably.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think the point is that you are allowed to block ctcp events from all or specific users, so you are already allowed to prevent the version reply in that way. Apparently Khaled doesn't want it blocked in other ways, or he wouldn't have changed the method used on older mIRC versions and moderators wouldn't care about it being posted.

As for it being somewhere in the forums already, that is probably a mistake and just because it's there doesn't mean it should be. If moderators can't find it to remove it, or don't know about it, then people who find it are lucky. Of course, it's just as easy to go ask on another forum for instructions on doing so. My real issue with it is that, with this being the official forum, I really don't think it should be giving instructions on bypassing things that Khaled doesn't want bypassed.

Invision Support
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
-sigh-
There are some ways to block it or modify it... wink

Last edited by Mentality; 04/11/06 04:09 PM.

one step closer to world domination
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Yeah, /debug -NUL is lovely.
However, it's illegal to change mIRC's version reply shocked

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
like anyone cares @_@

IceCapped
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood