mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
F
Could someone please help me? For some reason, I can't connect to any irc server. Could it be that my college blocked irc?

This is what it shows whenever I try to connect to any server.
* Connecting to irc.rizon.net (6668)
-
* Identd request from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
* Identd replied: 1477, 6668 : USERID : UNIX : ident

(And then after a couple of minutes)

* [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
* Disconnected

Please help!

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Try a direct Rizon server..

/server irc.pantsuland.net

or

/server irc.nulled.eu

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are using a college network, then they probably did block the IRC ports. You can easily find out by just phoning the IS/IT department and asking. Most colleges do block those ports. It is possible that they *may* be willing to unblock them when it's not during midterms/finals time periods. It just depends on the college. Asking won't hurt. smile

Also, be careful... most also have you sign an agreement stating that you're using the school network for school-related work (ie. not chatting, gaming, downloading, etc). If you did sign something along those lines and the college really wanted to be a jerk about it, they could disable your network access for the rest of the year, or even kick you out for violating that agreement.

Now, it's true that most won't do anything if you violate it. But it is definitely something to keep in mind. I had to sign one when I was in college, and I ended up being the 18th highest bandwidth user for the year and they didn't even say anything to me. wink

Just want to make sure you understand the possible consequences so you don't find yourself in trouble that you aren't expecting.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
i am having the same problem. it tries go connect and then it gives me 10053 software caused connection abort. what do i do? i am so ignorant with this program. thanks

P
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
P
Does Rizon mean something? I use that server too.

Link Copied to Clipboard