mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
When a .zip file is being attempted to send to me it freezes the screen and I end up getting disconnected. This just started happening yesterday, was working fine before. I haven't made any configuration changes- I have *.zip added in file types to accept, not ignored, and do not have a firewall.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Are you running any scripts?
If so, do any of them have something like ON *:FILERCVD:*:{
If you do, then try disabling that script (or if you don't know how to do that, simply unload it) and try again.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Might be this, switch your antivirus off, and see if the problem goes away

If it does its because its scanning the zip for its contents before its downloaded, and this is causing some type of backwards and forwards lockup (likey everytime the file adjusts in size (as it downloads) the antivirus rescans it), if this is the case you can normally set anti virus programs to not scan a certian folder, then download your zips to that same folder, and either move them out of it, causingt he antivirus to scan them or manually scan them once downloaded.

S
OP Offline
S
Not running any scripts that I know of. Tried with AV off, still same thing.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Does the screen freeze as soon as the zip file is sent, or shortly afterwards, or at any random point after some amount is sent, or at the end as the file is finished.

AND is the freeze restricted to MIRC screen freezing (other apps seem fine) or is it a system wide freeze.

AND have you left the PC for a exteneded period to see if it unfreezes (even if u end up disconencted etc)

Answer these and it might help us narrow down a possable cause.

(good to see you expressed that it wasnt as far as you could tell either of our previous possabilities offered)

oh yes, and is it ONLY ZIP files that cause this?

Last edited by DaveC; 13/10/06 09:25 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
It changes to the grey screen that shows the progress and says "accepting send" (never gets beyond that) and within a minute or so the dialogue in the channel freezes and the frame on the right side that shows everyone's name goes completely empty and then the bell rings "disconnected" I can immediately reconnect but if I try it again it's the same thing. Nothing else on my system is freezing. I have not tried leaving it alone after it happens. Only zip files are affected but I haven't attempted to receive all of the other types of files. I know .txt files work fine.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
ok , do you need to restart mirc to reconnect, or just click the connect icon in at the top of mirc?

If u have firewall software, close it down and attempted to download a .ZIP file, see if you receve a different result (aka no lockup) this however might not be it, as you can receive other type files.

ZIP files are interactively accessed by the OS in some way (built in ZIP exploring) Do you have a 3rd party zip program? if so try removing, if not try addding one.

If you know someoen who can send you a file, get them to send you a txt file, then rename it to a zip file and send it again, is there a different result?

S
OP Offline
S
I can just click on the "connect" icon, don't need to reload Mirc. I don't have a firewall. I do have a zip utility but the thing is it just started acting like this within the last week. I've used Mirc for about 8 years with no problems then out of the blue this problem arose. I have not added any new programs or changed any settings.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Have you tried turning remotes off? /remote off

Perhaps you managed to get a trojan script loaded, or a script your normally would use got corrupted. Just a thought. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Have you tried turning remotes off? /remote off
Perhaps you managed to get a trojan script loaded, or a script your normally would use got corrupted. Just a thought. smile

I tried that and still same problem, I then ran a trojan scan on my system and there are no trojans. I just realized that .rar files are causing the same thing.

R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
Are you on DALnet? DALnet (could be other networks too) blocks DCC sends of certain filetypes (unfortunately *.zip and *.rar are blocked). Check your status and see if you are receiving a server notice telling you to /DCCALLOW the person sending you the file.

-Rappy (routed)

Link Copied to Clipboard