mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Hi - have read all the other posts about DCC send problems and still can't figure the problem. I can receive data, but can't send or initiate chat over DCC. I am setup behind a router and have configured portforwarding etc. Both my public IP and my local IP are static.
It may be a dns problem as /dns [my nick] timesout. What DNS server should i be using?
Other than that it could be my firewall. Anyone have any experience setting up McAfee with mIRC?
thanks

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
ill assume you have forwarded the correct dcc ports you have set in mirc to the correct ip of the pc

One thing to check is you dont have 2 layers of routers, ie: a VOIP router then your lan router? if so you need to forward from the viop router to the lan router.

To check your firewall you can go here https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 if there STEALTH there likely blocked, anything else means there not blocked (but maybe nothings responding on them, which is ok)

I have not setup a McAfee firewall, but as well as allowing mirc in and out, you may have to pinhole the dcc ports them selfs to pass through the firewall, since when sending files you tell the reciever your ip:port over IRC and then the reciever actually contacts to you directly ip to ip:port and thus you need to allow inbound (apparently to the firewall) unsolicited conenctions.

Since you are behind a router, you could with a resonable saftey margin shut down your firewall to test if it is the thing that is blocking you, then if it is raise it again and sort out how to allow the ports through (see above for some help maybe). Of course mayeb its a port forwarding problem still & a firewall problem, so always consider theres more than one blockage in place.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am in fact behind two routers (as am now using wireless & simply bought a cheap wireless router off ebay!). I am going to have a go at reconfiguring it so they are actually on the same network (at the moment first router is 192.168.100, Wireless is .50). I really struggled to set it up like that when i last had a go though wink
However, i think there might be some other problem as i sitll had the same DCC issues before i ever got the wireless box & when i had a different ISP. Then it was definitely not a firewall issue as i tested that.
What I find odd is that i can't do a DNS lookup on myself. why would that be?

cheers

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
if you brought the wireless router simply to have wireless connections, then just dont use its router side,

Code:
internet
   |                (wan plug not used)
   |                        | 
router1                  router2(wifi)-~
| | | |                  | | | |
| | | +------------------+ | | +-- pc on router2         ~-pc(s) on router2(wifi)
| | +-- pc on router1      | +-- pc on router2
| +-- pc on router1        +--pc on router2
+-- pc on router1

Just make sure you turn off the DHCP server in router2, and set it a fixed ip address on the lan out of the dhcp assigned address range

ex
Router1 = 192.168.1.1
Router2 = 192.168.1.2

Router1 DHCP assigns IPS from 192.168.1.101 onward
Router2 DHCP disabled

Essentially u turn router2 into a wifiHUB

A pc on router2 or the wifi needing a IP address when it starts simple dhcp requests one, it flows on to router2 and out again to router1 whcih answers it.

[edit]
this way u also dont need to worry about forwarding any ports in the second router, as your not using its routing anyway.

Last edited by DaveC; 03/10/06 11:13 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
yes, i know that's how it's meant to work in theory, but for some reason i couldn't get it to work!
Anyway, will try that and report back...
thanks

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
i only wrote that up becuase it seesm alot of people dont understand that a router in most cases has a hub(/switch) jamed on the back of it.

Code:
router1 (192.168.1.1)
   |
  HUB
/ | | \

So of course router2 was acting like a hub with a router attached.

PS: hope you get it going.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi I now have it set up my two routers as you suggested and am still having problems. i have tried having ports 5000-5008 forwarded to my machine. I can only map a max of 20 ports on my router so cannot map 1024 to 5000 to my ip. I have made sure that the settings in mIRC are correct to recieve those ports. i am also forwarding 113 UDP and 6660-6669. i have tried disabling my firewall.
no joy. the DNS lookup is working (i think that was a spelling mistake on my part wink ). I fact i cannot receive now either...
any ideas?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Those should be TCP, not UDP.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
How many simultaneous dcc sends and initiated chats are you planning on? The only time I ever had more than 5 incoming ports running at one time is when a new release of mIRC comes out. (Then I could use about 50 ports and a much faster connection.) So 5000-5008 should be more than enough, and you don't have to forward the server (6600+) ports - to you they're outgoing, so the router doesn't affect them. Just make sure - again - that mIRC is using 5000-5008 for dcc. And make sure you're opening TCP ports, not UDP ports.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
How many simultaneous dcc sends and initiated chats are you planning on?

Its all dcc's sends/gets/chats/fservs, they all use the dcc port range, its just that anything not initiated by you can still work outside that range as well, but if thers a gap in that range it well use it first.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi, not planning on that many simultaneous dcc sends etc. the only reason i was trying to forward ports 1024-5000 is that some literature says this is necessary. i have set 5000-5008 up as TCP, except 113 which I understood should be UDP. will remove 6660-6669 from my por-tforward list.
However my problem is not resolved, in fact i think it is worse now as i don't think i can receive anything now. any ideas?

M
OP Offline
M
Shameless bump up the forum list......

Anybody any idea what could be causing my DCC problems?

Turning of my firewall doesn't make any difference.
Port Forwarding is setup correctly
Network is setup correctly now (- thanks DaveC)
DNS is working.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

M
OP Offline
M
5000-5008 = TCP
113 = UDP - correct?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
113 should be TCP. I'm not sure if UDP would work, but TCP definitely does.

However, 113 only affects you giving an identd response when connecting to a network and won't affect sends.

Invision Support
M
OP Offline
M
ok thanks. will change that to tcp.
using win xp - do i need to set DCC up as a service - i saw some mention of that for Win 2000

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No.

Invision Support
M
OP Offline
M
thanks very much for your help riamus! I will test this out in a few days - hopefully it will work....

Link Copied to Clipboard