mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Hi
My ISP block the mirc port 6667 and others which is used by mirc. Now can anyone tell me how can i login to Mirc.

I tried in the web but still they also use those port.

Pls help me

Thanx

F
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
F
I can only think of 2 options. 1) give your ISP a call and ask them why those ports are blocked, and possibly unblock them (may cost you more each month but......) and 2) Change ISP.

Fire

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are methods of avoiding that, but we cannot help you to do it. We can't help to avoid bans or to avoid ISP/college/work port blocking on this forum. Sorry.

Keep in mind that if you do try to bypass such things and you are caught, you could be in a lot of trouble depending if it's just a home connection, or a school connection, or a work connection.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
avoid ISP port blocking

Were does it say , you cant help someone get around an ISP block?

Stupid ISP's that block ports need a bullet, i have spent days trying to locate problems that have been caused by isp's, we now take wireless internet connections to sites so we can evaluate there coms using our own connections rather than theres to ensure its not some stupid isp doing something.

To the orginal question : you could have just said try /server irc.network.in.question.net:6667 <--- a different port or 7000 alot of irc's use that for ssl but u can connect with out ssl on it.

And to me that isnt even getting around a block, its simply using a different door, if u wanted to go to the pictures and you had payed for a ticket already, but you found one of the 65535 doors to the building were locked, do u sit there and feel glum?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So we can show people how to "tunnel" around a port block? That's the same as helping people avoid firewall blocks put in place by colleges and businesses. It works the same way.

As for the other normal IRC ports, I'm betting they are all blocked. He said that the IRC ports were blocked (obviously on purpose).

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
If the "powers that be" do not explicitly say "you may not use irc" I see no problem with tunneling, side stepping, going around, any type of block, that is not breaking a rule, it is simply finding a different way to the desired result. The powers that be should front up and say what there doing and why there doing these things, any hiding behind excuses like "oh it must be your end, we dont block anything" while they do, is as much as challenging people to go around them, how can they complain if someone finds a route around, since they make out there was no block in place to begin with. His ISP should say, we blocked this port, and we blocked it for this reson, and to recieve service you agree not to tryu and do such and such.

Honesty is a two way street, they hide what there doing , why should the other side play "fair" either!

At my work we have several things blocked, along with the blocks we have a list of things your not allowed to do, like "you may not waste company time/resources on electronic chat in any form" now that prettywell covers everything as far as I care to look, but just blocking ports means nothing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree with you on that. I'm just thinking about how offering suggestions on how to avoid it would be showing how to bypass blocks like you described having at your work. If someone came in and asked for a way around their work's port blocking and mentioned that the work said they couldn't use chat for whatever reason, would you say that we should help them do it? I'm guessing from your post that you wouldn't help them.

I guess, I'm looking at this in the way I would downloading issues. We simply don't help people to download stuff because 99% of the time, it tends to be illegal downloading and we don't want to be a part of that. I'd bet that 80% of questions regarding how to get around blocked ports is because their job or school purposely blocked them to avoid downloads or chatting or whatever reason. I just see these as the same kind of thing.

Should we help one person with doing it, but not another based only on how they word their request? And if we post the answers here, then it is easily searchable by anyone who wants to do it when they shouldn't.

I don't know... If we want to show how to bypass the port blocking, then I don't mind helping people do it. I just think that it doesn't really fit with how this forum is run. I'm up for anything, though. laugh

Invision Support
S
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
*DaveC

Actually I did complain that I cant use mirc. Then they replied its a software problem.

Then I collect some of my friend who use same ISP and found the r having same problems. After that we found that ISP personel and ask the real problem. Then we make sure that may ports has been blocked by there admin.

So many days I m finding solution. There have many forum in the internet. I wright many forums about my problem. But nobody could help me.

Or may b didnt wanna help confused

Thanx

S
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
*Riamus2

You r right. there has 90% of ppl have there bad intention to download illigal things. But dont u think By not telling the solution of anybody's question is not a solution to avoid the illigal things from the ppl smirk

Anyway If I m in ur position then I think I help ppl. B'Coz I like to help.

Anyway Thanx smile

S
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Help me please

Last edited by soulidentities; 03/10/06 08:32 AM.
S
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Quote:
Avoid Argueing

Last edited by soulidentities; 03/10/06 08:30 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard