mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
This has been the behaviour for every mIRC version I've tested, and I'm not sure if there's an intentional reason for it. To reproduce:

1. Go to mIRC_Options/DCC/Folders and create a DCC Get folder for filetype *.txt or any other filetype that does not have a Get Folder defined for it - point it to any newly created foldername you wish. You can test this with any other filetype you wish, just substitute that .ext for .txt herein.
2. Ask someone to DCC Send any .txt file to you that is not currently located in your $mircdir folder, and the file downloads into the folder you create.
3. Now delete or rename the newly created folder, and receive that same file again.

You'll find that if a Get Folder is defined, and that foldername doesn't exist because it has been deleted or renamed, the file downloads into the mIRC program folder where mirc.exe is located. It doesn't seem to matter whether the missing Get Folder was located on a different drive letter or not, it seems to always default to the mIRC folder itself.

In my opinion, Instead of doing this, mIRC should either:

A. Use the 'default' Get Folder if it exists.
B. Refuse to accept the file until the Get Folder exists, with an appropriate message to the Status Window.

It's easy for someone to accidentally move or rename a folder, forgetting that it's an mIRC Get Folder. There are plenty of scripts out there that read+evaluate from $mircdir text files in ways that could become an exploit if someone accentally moves/renames their .txt Get Folder.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
So your saying, if (1) i created a *.txt download entery, (2) deleted that folde, (3) had remotes ending in .TXT in my mirc dir, (4) had someone dcc me the same .txt file , I could be exploited!

OMG OMG the sky is falling.

IMO if you delete the folder your ment to send the file to its no wonder it downloads to "."

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
mIRC could attempt to create the folder if it doesn't exist, and only if it fails to create the folder and/or fails to save the file there (due to permissions), then try the default download location.

The majority of programs with transfer support will do this, and windows supports saving a file to a directory that doesn't exist (i mean, if the program tells it to save in a non existant folder, windows will create it, permissions allowing)

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
This would be nice. No future problems, everything organized, no reason to reject this idea.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks this has been fixed for the next version.

Link Copied to Clipboard