mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#156526 17/08/06 01:55 PM
1123 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I've been a member for awhile and I noticed recently that I was banned from one of the rooms I visit because of an "exe" virus or something. I just joined my "home" channel and upon joining I see a message pop up with my name as the sender and a nasty message with a web link. It looks like it came from me and I tried to respond to it but it bounced back at me like I was talking to myself? I tried checking my settings and stuff to see if anything was changed but didn't notice anything. Can anyone please help?? I don't know how it happened and the message is really nasty and making me sick (and pissed off). Thanks!!!

#156527 17/08/06 02:09 PM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Try scanning your computer for viruses with an up-to-date virus scanner.

Also, type /!remote off in the mIRC client that is sending the nasty messages. If that stops the messages, then you have a script installed that is sending the messages without your knowledge. If that is the case, you just need to locate the offending script and unload and delete it.

-genius_at_work

#156528 17/08/06 02:15 PM
1123 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Thanks for responding so fast! I don't know what mIRC client is sending me the message, I wish I did though. How do I find that script? I'm going to run my antivirus now but I'm not sure if that's it. I'll let you know if it is. I don't know how this happened? But its unnerving

#156529 18/08/06 12:37 AM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
You said that a message popped up with "your name as the sender". Do you mean that your regular nickname is sending the message, or that another nickname (your real name possibly) is sending the message? If it is your regular nick sending the message, then your regular mIRC client has malicious code running in it. If it is another nickname sending the message, then you likely have a 'hidden' mIRC (a virus) installed and running on your system. If you close your regular mIRC client, and then hit ctrl+alt+del and view the processes tab, you should see no mirc.exe processes. If there is a mirc.exe process, that is likely the infected program. Terminate it and then use the windows search to locate the directory (search for mirc.exe) and delete the folder that you don't recognize (the one that isn't your regular mirc client).

-genius_at_work

Link Copied to Clipboard