mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
I thought mIRC was multi-server and multi-channel IRC client. But..

Multi-server. When it comes to openining a new server window, rememer: if the server is using another encoding, you should open a new mIRC window. Huh? Well, the thing is that you can't use different encodings in windows that has same names. Status windows? Same encoding. #help channels on two networks? Same encoding. And fonts, too. And other settings. And even logs (if relev. opts. are on)! Want to chat? Open font dialog each time you switch to another channel.

Multi-channel.. We thought everyone knew about SJIS/JIS issue. But.. Ok, ok, I do not think there are many people who speak japanese and non-english/non-japanese at the same time. But I am one of the few. Have you ever seen cyrillics text with SJIS/JIS conversion applied? No? Try mIRC. But it's not fun. Not at all.

There are many other issues too, like, the fact that channel windows can only be closed and not opened while offline, but that's another story.

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
I do not believe you are using the word "encoding" correctly, could you rephrase that? grin

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Quote:
...channel windows can only be closed and not opened while offline...

Do you mean focused and unfocused (aka minimize/maximize) ?

Because when you say 'close' and 'open' in reference to channels i interpret that as 'join' and 'part'. In which case the behavior would be correct, as mirc requires a signal from the ircd in order to open/join a channel, where as nothing is required for you to close/part it.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
#154493 30/07/06 12:11 PM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
NaquadaServ, encoding -- 'Script' in Font dialog. Almost the same afaik. By the way, why can't I choose Japanese for Verdana? It displays it in Unicode O.o

Om3n, no, I mean exactly 'closed' and 'opened'. Nevertheless this is not a big problem.

#154494 30/07/06 01:09 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
The "Script-Name" in the Fonts dialogs... That's just typically called a "font". When I think encoding, i think of, the process of turning audio/video signals in to digital media. wink

Regarding the second, point... How do you expect mIRC to open a channel, when not connected to a server? It wont have a topic or any nicks. I realize that a channel can be open while in a disconnected state, but at least in that case, mIRC once knew a little information about the channel (such as modes and topic).

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
#154495 30/07/06 02:01 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You can't open it because there is nothing to open, a channel can be thought of as a 'communication channel' that you 'subscribe' to with the server... Your missing the crucial part of the equation.

Maybe it is the word 'channel' that you are using in a different manner?

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
#154496 30/07/06 03:30 PM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Please, that is not the topic.
Encoding is the same as the options appearing in the View - Encoding menu of your browser.

#154497 30/07/06 05:42 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
I see, and after looking, I guess the word's defination is broad enough to include "character sets" (what I'd call them) as a way to encode something ... grin

Quote:
To format (electronic data) according to a standard format.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
#154498 30/07/06 07:59 PM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Quote:
By the way, why can't I choose Japanese for Verdana? It displays it in Unicode O.o

Because Verdana doesn't have any Japanese characters in it. What is happening is that when you are using the Verdana font and you receive text in the Japanese code block, Windows substitutes those characters with a font that does have Japanese characters (i.e. MS Mincho).

#154499 31/07/06 05:37 PM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Thanks, myndzi, that's clear now, but..

Will the two bugs be ever fixed? I'm tired of opening options dialog or changing font script preferences each time..

Link Copied to Clipboard