Print Thread
#154469 29/07/06 06:35 PM
S
shw Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
S
The set-up file for v6.2 is different from the previous set up files.
There is no option to save your settings.
there is no question to make back ups.
when back up is made, all the ini files get wiped, so it is not a true back up.
In order to upgrade, you HAVE to know what the different *.ini files do. The only chance you have is when it asks you if you wish to overwrite these files.
This is causing a MAJOR mess on our end. As an op, I am unable to keep up with the questions and complaints about the set up and how come the settings got wiped out.
I have never had this issue before, and even the "How to install" write up on the web page is wrong. That is NOT how the new set up file runs.
HELP!!!!!!!!
What happened here? Why was the set up changed? shocked

#154470 29/07/06 07:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The installer was changed for a newer and more up-to-date look and feel. Yes, it could be combersome to help users upgrade, but in the future should be more helpful. You may try a batch file, and have the user run it to make it more 'automated'.

Code:
rem mIRC Backup/Restore Script
rem 
rem Based on the presence of a backup folder, this will backup
rem or resotre mIRC settings files.

SET backupdir=mircbackup
IF EXIST %backupdir% GOTO restore

:backup
IF NOT EXIST mircbackup MKDIR %backupdir%
IF NOT EXIST mirc.ini GOTO noini
FOR %%f IN (*.ini) DO COPY /Y %%f %backupdir%\%%f
ECHO Backup created to %CD%\%backupdir%
GOTO exit
:noini
ECHO Could not find mirc.ini--backup could not be created.
GOTO exit

:restore
IF NOT EXIST %backupdir%\mirc.ini GOTO nobackup
CD %backupdir%
FOR %%f IN (*.ini) DO COPY /Y %%f ..\%%f
ECHO Restore completed successfuly.
GOTO exit
:nobackup
ECHO No backup was found. Please create one before restoring.
GOTO exit

:exit
pause

-KingTomato
#154471 29/07/06 07:08 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I found it automatically saved a backup folder where i could move my ini files from if required.

btk

billythekid
#154472 30/07/06 03:36 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The installer for 6.2 automatically creates a "backup" folder where it saves the users current files.

It also allows users to select which files to install on the components page of the installer, and it asks users again before overwriting any existing files. So there are three levels of precaution in the new installer.

I had assumed that giving users a components page, the same as most installers for other software, would allow users to have more control over what and what not to install, unlike the previous installer.

I'll see if I can improve the next version of the installer to make it clearer and simpler for users who aren't sure about how to upgrade.

As usual, changes are made to mIRC because of user requests, suggestions, and comments.

#154473 30/07/06 04:13 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Yes, I think a slight wording change to make things very clear would be a good thing (it certainly couldnt hurt) and I'm happy to see this added in (us being able to choose the components).

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#154474 01/08/06 04:56 PM
L
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
L
I found that no such back up files were created save for 3: Servers.ini.; urls.ini and mirc.ini .

If I said overwrite I got a clean install. Many users lost their scripts and such and have to figure out wtf they need to do.

This installler format is NOT good. Sure it looks nicer but id rather it work well than look good.

This install is NOT consistant compared the simple elegance of the old.

I would retest and test some more and reissue with 6.21 and make very clear to users what is going on. There should be a dialog that does say BACKING UP EXISTING SETTINGS NOW or some such option.

thank you.

#154475 01/08/06 08:00 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
by lost their scripts do you mean that the mrc files are not loaded, though they exist in the mIRC folder?
you can use the backup mirc.ini to read from and reload the remotes and any aliases (except the one alias.ini which if you allowed it during update, would be erased if you didnt rename it first)

the option to not replace the mirc.ini for one, would have saved you this trouble

what we might expect backup to do
save alias.ini file
save all popup.ini file(s)
save all remote files (user group so on)
save any mIRC ini files such as mIRC.ini URLs.ini and so on
might make a good suggestion to have mirc scan the mirc.ini and back up all relative files.

might make a good suggestion

#154476 03/08/06 01:04 PM
I
Babel fish
Babel fish
I
i hade no problem with the update.
the installer works perfect for me.
i could select if it overwrites the *.ini file's.

#154477 09/08/06 10:59 AM
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Shows again, never trust a backup of a program wich does stuff by itself. I always copy my mirc files to another folder or copy the complete mirc folder if it isnt to big. Just to make sure. Cause in an eye blink your ini files are overwritten and you have to rewrite your remotes and stuff smirk

Active mIRC user since 1998

Link Copied to Clipboard