Print Thread
#150177 29/05/06 10:34 AM
R
r0uJe Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
on IRC, i see a lot of users with hostmasks like abc@some.host.name.here and i know that in some IRC servers, you can easily change that by joining #vhosts.

however, in some servers, they do not have a #vhosts channel. so i'm wondering what i should do to have a custom hostmask.

should i:

1. register a domain name; or
2. rent a UNIX shell account and install PsyBNC; or
3. both?

i'm not trying to evade bans or anything like. i really just would like to have a different/custom hostmask almost everytime i log in on IRC.

thanks for any info!

smile

#150178 29/05/06 11:59 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
there are indeed networks that allow you to have a virtual hostname (spoofed hostname) as a service.

another way would indeed be to rent a unix shell and install a BNC. some online services already offer you a BNC with a wide range of available hostnames.

you could also indeed buy your own hostname and use that.

unless you can control the reverse DNS of your own host you need to have a place where you can, like a unix shell with dedicated IP...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
#150179 06/06/06 05:29 AM
F
Babel fish
Babel fish
F
Note: if that server does not have a #vhost chan, u still might be able to get a cool host by typeing /hs request vhost.here. i whould type /hs help to see if the command has changed on that server, and to see if it has HostServ

known on irc as MrStonedOne
read my full post before replying or dont reply. tl;dr isn't allowed here
#150180 20/06/06 06:42 AM
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
W

There is another way,you could ask you're freindly IRCop smirk,they can also issue Vhosts smile or to remind them to check /hs waiting list. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard