mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
N
When ever I join a certain network and download a file from certain users, my entire internet gets cut off about 30 minutes into the download. I then have to restart my computer to get it back again!?! It only seems to happen on that certain network and I other users claim not to have this problem!!!

Is this a common problem for anyone? If so, is there an easy solution?

Thanks in advance!

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Some ISP's do this to you based on time and transfer size, beyond that I would say it maybe a fault in your OS. Cant really see why it would be limited to one network, might rather be the one user on that one network?

Q
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
Q
I am having the exact same problem and personaly its pissing me off. i thought it was os related as well at first because when mirc looses its connection i loose connection to my router but my router still has a connection to the internet. for kicks and grins i formated my hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows but it didnt help.

The strange part is that the only way to fix the problem is to restart my computer. if you try to repair the network connection in the control panel it cant establish a connection. which it should be able to considering that the other computer is connecting fine.

this is why i know it's mirc related and i only have this problem with mirc. i think however it has something to do with mirc and 64bit processers. my previous cpu was an amd athlon xp and i never had this problem using the same router, cable modem, and the same version of mirc 6.16. (i haven't herd good things about 6.17 and xdcc klipper which is why i haven't upgraded) The only thing i changed with this computer was the motherboard and cpu, everthing else in my setup is the same.

heres what im working with right now: windows xp home (32-bit) w/ service pack 2 - amd athlon 64 x2 3800 - mirc 6.16

Q
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
Q
i think i figured it out, after i typed my last post i lost my connection again and decided to try and figure out what was going on. turns out windows firewall was blocking my connection eventhough i have it set up to allow connections from mirc.

my prev setup used zonealarm but i figured i would give windows firewall a try this time since zonealarm takes forever to load. in any event so far disabling windows firewall seems to work.

if things change ill leave another post.

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
This happens to me as well, only I'm pretty sure it never comes back on until I reset my computer. I can't ping anything -- not even my local router. I've tried disabling and re-enabling my network connection, but it fails to re-enable it (it just freezes up the window). A friend of mine suggested suggested I reset the TCP/IP stack (the exact command "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt") but that freezes up Command Prompt (and, in case you're wondering, the text file is blank).

It seems to *only* happen when I'm using FServes and XDCC bots. I actually forgot about this problem for months (in the meantime I recieved many DCC sends) until I got around to using an XDCC bot again. It doesn't happen everytime, though. I was able to successfully recieve two files from the same XDCC bot after restarting.

If it helps, I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 with an onboard NIC (Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC) and mIRC v6.16. I don't have any form of firewall other than my router. Oh, and it's definitely not a 64-bit problem as I'm using an Intel P4 processor.

Any ideas...?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
dont think you will get help here
since you pointed out you use XDCC which
most probably means you do illegal file share
which is against board rules.

IceCapped

Link Copied to Clipboard