mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
phs3 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
On one of my XP machines, I've been having 100% CPU busy hangs when the machine is left overnight (and occasionally while running). When they occur, <Cntrl><Alt><Del> does bring up Task Manager, and if I end the task that's hogging resources, I'm OK until I click on something else, at which point THAT task becomes 100% busy.

This sure sounds like it's spinning on a lock.

Looking at Application level events in Event Viewer, I find that nVidia nView is having trouble with timeouts on mutexes, and these always start with mIRC. So for the last few nights, I've closed mIRC and all has been well.

That's anecdotal, but interesting. This is mIRC 6.16; I just installed 6.17, will see if it helps, but I'm wondering if anybody else has seen these same problems and suspected mIRC.

Cheers,
...phsiii

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Not me, nope. I've been using mirc for about a decade now and the Nvidia software for my video card for the last 3 years or so (cause that's when the new puter with my Geforce came to me) and it's been fine. Now I'll tell you, I've not changed many things at all thru the settings so it's fairly vanilla on the Nview side of things. COuld that be part of the problem? Are you using transparencies, miltiple displays or anything else "out of the norm"? Im not knowledgeable about the Nview program really as my needs don't require me to delve deep into all of the many settings I can take advantage of.

Some other stats:
I use 2kpro not XP
I upgrade my mirc on every release

It's possible this could be an XP vs Nvidia vs mIRC issue. Hope this helps somehow

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I found I had the sme problem with my systems that run mIRC and nView on Windows XP. Since the nView settings were the defaults, the resolution that I found was to simply exit the nView program and remove it from the autorun section of my registry. Since then I've had no problems in this regard.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Ditto here .. that solved some problems for me as well.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
see, I think I've long since removed the ACTIVE software from my start menu (in order to speed up boot time). If I right click I have the options there, but I DONT have it in my taskbar.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Right click and select the nView option, that should bring up a menu with the first item being your video card. This item should have a + or - beside it. If it's a +, then the second item listed should read Desktop Management. If it does (or if it's in a different location), select it, and ensure that the nView desktop manager is Disabled.
If you want, you can get rid of the option to access this information via the right click, by selecting the video card (should be the first item, as mentioned earlier), then select Tools, then uncheck Enable Desktop Context Menu.

This second item makes little to no difference in the activity of your system. It's the first one that's probably causing you difficulties.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
ah, yeah, I normally dont even touch those options tho I do have the Nview Desktop Features Available (as in selectable) but not really mucked with

A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
I'm using mIRC 6.17 on Win XP SP2 with nVideo GeForce GO 6600 (driver v 73.00) with 128 mb. (ASUS z71v). I don't have any hangs or 100% CPU usage while mIRC is running, or even over night. Only time mIRC goes to 100% is when I put it into a long while loop. I've got the default nVidia software that comes with my laptop.

This didn't happen either with mIRC 6.16, though.

P
phs3 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Interesting. I"ll do that, but it's a hit: I'm a keyboard guy, and I use the nView stuff a fair bit to move windows etc. (I have dual monitors).

Will fup with nVidia, tho without very likely hope of success...

Thanks for the replies!

...phsiiii

Link Copied to Clipboard