mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
m33p Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Its kinda hard to do advanced scripting in mIRC when your variables limited to 1K can we get this bumbed up to at least 100K? alot of other scripting langauges have no such limit.... would be nice if it would get removed or bumped up... 1K is insanely low....

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
thats what binary vars are for

C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
Why you need to use big variables?
To store big pieces of information you can use hash tables or even ini files!

Thats all

The practice do the Master...
M
m33p Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well ini files i don't use any more... i do use hash tables.... but it wouldn't really suit what i'm trying to do.... but i'll try binary variables... i'll try that.... I need to be able to store a large amount of info in 1 variable/line...

C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
Hash's and inis bacicly its the same, you can store big informations on that, dependly the type you like more!
But if you wanna, give us more informations of what you pretend, and we see what we can get!
But inded i dont know how to enlarge the variables size O_o!

Thats all

The practice do the Master...
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Binary variables certainly let you do that but they're awkward to work with. When parsing binary variables you have to do it in chunks or use some $bfinds and $bvars (which, depending on what you need to do, can be many).

I actually can't think of a reason for the string limit not to increase other than that it would be an inconveniance to Khaled (assuming the string limit isn't a constant or a #define) because he'd have to change a lot of code. It won't break any scripts, off the top of my head I can't think of any problems it would cause and it would make a lot of people happy.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It would be so great if the limit was removed, you would be able to use regex/regsub and the likes etc to parse, instead of having to deal with chunks. Although binvars serve their purpose, I don't find it a very convenient way to get things done.

For socket scripting, it would be true bliss, as you could read the entire page into a var, and parse it like that. Having the limit removed is probably the thing I'd like the most right now.

However, this sort of thing has been requested numerous times, probably over the course of many years, so it will probably never happen.

Gone.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Yes i agree with that, and i also have run into the limit problem, but i was just trying to point out to him what usable resource he has (even if not perfect) right now for the job.

Link Copied to Clipboard