mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
1. Add two servers to your server list. One server (say irc.plaintext.com) uses 6667, the other (say irc.encrypted.com) uses another port as SSL (say, +1234).
2. Run 2 (or more) copies of mIRC at the same time from the same installation directory.
3. In the first copy of mIRC, press alt-E to bring up the server dialog. Select irc.encrypted.com and click Connect to Server. You will connect to irc.encrypted.com on port 1234 with SSL enabled.
4. In the second copy of mIRC, press alt-E to bring up the server dialog. Select irc.plaintext.com and click Connect to Server.
---> mIRC will try to connect irc.plaintext.com on port +1234 rather than the 6667 it is supposed to.

This problem appears to be new to 6.17.

If you click Edit on irc.plaintext.com, it still says 6667, and it still happens.

Melissa

Meow
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
By the way, the reason I use multiple instances is because control-tab and control-shift-tab act very chaotically when you are connected to multiple servers in the same instance. I can't tell whether it's a bug so I haven't reported it.

Melissa

Meow
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
My Default Port is 6667, so it's not that.

Melissa

Meow
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This sounds familiar, so I think it's already been reported in the bugs section. As a side note, for future reference, rather than posting replies to your own posts, if it's within two hours of the post time, you can edit the post.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Im just guessing, but is it possible that this behavior is a limitation of the ssl implementation? i mean, mirc is already using the protocol and has it active during a connection, just because its another instance may not neccersarily mean its being treated seperately?

In what circumstances does it occur, all the time or just if they are both connecting at the same time?

As for 'chaotic' ctrl+tab/ctrl+shift+tab behavior, care to elaborate? mirc simply cycles forwards or backwards, starting at your active window. The difference between mircs window switching to MS Windows alt+tab is that mirc will only scroll through those windows that are not minimized or hidden (re: maximized). Just like MS Windows alt+tab, the order is determined by the order in which they were activated/maximized. (meaning if you want it to go down the list in perfect order, you will need to minimize all windows and one by one, from top to botton, click all the window items)

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Quote:
In what circumstances does it occur, all the time or just if they are both connecting at the same time?

I connect completely with an SSL server. I start another mIRC instance, then connect with the new instance to a non-SSL server. The second mIRC then tries to connect to the second server but on the SSL port with SSL enabled.

/server is not affected - I can manually type the server name and port and it will work.

Quote:
As for 'chaotic' ctrl+tab/ctrl+shift+tab behavior, care to elaborate? mirc simply cycles forwards or backwards, starting at your active window. The difference between mircs window switching to MS Windows alt+tab is that mirc will only scroll through those windows that are not minimized or hidden (re: maximized). Just like MS Windows alt+tab, the order is determined by the order in which they were activated/maximized. (meaning if you want it to go down the list in perfect order, you will need to minimize all windows and one by one, from top to botton, click all the window items)

Control-Tab and Control-Shift-Tab work correctly when you are only connected to one server in a single mIRC instance. Once you are connected to two or more servers in one mIRC instance, the order of the windows it switches to becomes erratic. It seems to treat one server as a kind of group then the second server as another group, but the way it does so is quite erratic and undesirable. With two servers, Control-Shift-Tab is no longer the opposite of Control-Tab - they now are unrelated orders. Finally, clicking all the windows in a certain order to "set" the order does not fix the problem.

Meow
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Does the "other" instance of mIRC run from the same directory as the first one, or do you have two separate installations in two separate directories. If you are running the same mIRC multiple times, they both(all) use the same mirc.ini settings. When you choose a server to connect to in the first instance, that server and port become the default server. So, when you start another instance of mIRC, it reads the settings that were saved by the first instance which includes the new default server that you just "set".

About the ctrl+tab behaviour, by default, I think mIRC scrolls through windows based on the order they were activated. It should be possible to change that behaviour to cause mIRC to scroll from left to right across all windows. To do this, follow these steps:

alt+o (opens options dialog)
"Other" tab
"Keys" button
check "control+tab uses switchbar order"
"OK" button
"OK" button

-genius_at_work

M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Yes, they do run from the same directory. It saves the default server, yes. However, I'm using the server selection dialog to select the server to connect to - I'm not asking it to connect to the default server. The bug is that mIRC uses the default port no matter what is in the server selection dialog somehow, yet uses the server hostname I selected.

As for control-tab, try it out while connected to multiple servers in the same instance. You will see that it clearly does not go in the order in which they were activated, and control-shift-tab isn't even the inverse.

Melissa

Meow

Link Copied to Clipboard