Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
I request the following:

1. Ctrl+I-triggered italics for mIRC instead of the intendation feature

or

2. Ctrl+S-triggered italics , S standing for "stress"

If you're with me, please respond to this post with a short acknowledgement of agreement and give your nickname, real name, or Internet alias underneath it. Thank you for your time. If we get enough people to sign this, maybe Khaled will do it, if he hasn't already decided to. smile

Do re mi fa sol la ti do.
#14459 07/03/03 03:51 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
A petition isn't exactly much good unless you're willing to actually discuss the feature and it's good and bad points, you also haven't suggested an implementation, just a shortcut key to get this effect.

What character should it use? What about other clients who won't/can't support this new character? What about clients which already have italics as ASCII character 22 (mIRC interprets this as reverse)? Should mIRC switch from interpreting ASCII 22 as reverse to italics?

None of this has so far been addressed, which it really must be. Getting people to blindly sign a petition means nothing unless these things are at least brought forward as issues.

Obviously you don't have to come up with everything, but if people 'sign' this 'petition' and then 6 months later italics are added by replacing reverse, it won't do much good to complain that that isn't how you wanted it done.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#14460 07/03/03 05:40 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
You have to be considerate of other clients as starbucks said, as Italics is already established in many of them.

What you could have is a checkbox in the options:

"Interpret CTRL+R as Italic"

This would be unchecked by default, as mIRC has always had it as reverse, but the option would be there to change it.

#14461 07/03/03 08:44 PM
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
I'm with you...My nickname is Daphnee,my real name_Laura.Say something if you "hear "me!!!

Daphne
#14462 07/03/03 10:41 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I think the Italics question was already posted. If you do a Search and type "Italics" and make sure you search "All Forums" and "All Posts" you will get that post. As I stated I also agree that Italics should be used because well the reverse option sucks.

I hope to see this option added in the future...

#14463 07/03/03 11:18 PM
D
d0ink Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
I'm just a slightly annoyed average user. I didn't realize it was customary to do any more than say what you'd like to be able to click or what you'd like to be able to type in order to get a certain /command to work differently. But yes, I might have mentioned that Pirch98 already supports italics. And as was also mentioned, mIRC could have an option to interpret Ctrl+R as italics. That was a very good idea, and I would have thought of it, had I been a stronger thinker. You've managed to make me feel quite silly, friends.

But whatever. This "petition," lame as it might seem, is still worthwhile. Khaled, c'mon. You know you want to.

Do re mi fa sol la ti do.
#14464 07/03/03 11:53 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It's not exactly customary but there are certain suggestions, italics being one of them, which come up on a semi-regular basis yet have issues attached to them which (in my opinion) hold them back from being implemented (of course Khaled could have entirely different reasons). It seems that the issues never get resolved and no-one ever seems to come up with a reasonable way that most people can agree on.

Personally I'd like to see reverse text replaced entirely by italics as I feel making it an option would just divide the IRC community on what that control code does: ugly reverse formatting to some and emphasised text to others. Obviously people who like and use reverse control codes wouldn't like that at all - perhaps Khaled doesn't like that at all, after all he's the one who chose to intepret it as reverse text in the first place.

In any case, I wasn't trying to make you feel silly, I was just trying to point out that if you ask people to 'sign' a petition to do with something so debated as italics you should be more specific in what you're asking them to support.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#14465 10/03/03 12:29 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
I also suggested itallics some time ago, I would like to have it much more than reverse.

#14466 10/03/03 04:45 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
2. Ctrl+S-triggered italics , S standing for "stress"

Does this refer to the stress that many will suffer by trying to view italics in some fonts?

*Watchdog votes against the motion.

Why? Because most fonts are either unreadable in italics (not everyone uses Arial or Tahoma) or don't support italics altogether. Bold is a better option when emphasising an expression because most fonts support it, the exception being older ones like Fixedsys or Terminal, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard