mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
B
This is driving me crazy! A couple of years ago I remember using a snippet or addon that would parse a mIRC script file and replace all the variable names with shorter versions and also compact the script to use as little space as possible.

I think I remember it being a challenge on one of the scripting sites, but I cant find mention of anything like it anywhere... Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? confused

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I dont, but it would sure make it harder for people to know what the script is doing. While for the majority of scripts i would say this is a bad thing, I have seen a similar thing usedx on that TANKS game script, every thing in it almost is all these %1010010101 vars, including half the commands!

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I've seen some "compression" scripts on mIRC script sites. I'm not sure what they do, but I think it has something to do with the $compress identifier.

I seem to remember seeing a script site that had a competition on who could make the best "script optimization" script for mIRC. I can't find which site it was on though.

-genius_at_work

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Aha! I found what I was looking for.. I don't know if it is what you were looking for.

http://www.mircscripts.org/challenge.php?name=compressor

-genius_at_work

B
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
B
You're a star!!! Thank you! I'm sure i've googled... mirc script challenge compress ...several times! oh well my hair can start growing back now! smile

BTW DaveC, I know it's not a good idea to make things difficult to read, more just a curiousity, my addon was started in 2002, the .mrc is 240k now, just interested what that would fall to.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
the .mrc is 240k now

/set %the.user.i.want.to.send.to.on.the.mirc.forums BlackAle
/set $+(%,the.message.i.want.to.send.to.,%the.user.i.want.to.send.to.on.the.mirc.forums,.on.the.mirc.forums) = My god man stop using such long variable names!
/msg %the.user.i.want.to.send.to.on.the.mirc.forums $($+(%,the.message.i.want.to.send.to.,%the.user.i.want.to.send.to.on.the.mirc.forums,.on.the.mirc.forums),2)

smile

B
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
B
lol, actually I use compact but descriptive variable names, it's just an extensive addon/script.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Have you though of splitting that one huge file into several smaller files?

I use PnP 4.22 (which is quite a robust script) plus a few of my own scripts, and they have these characteristics:

38 Files, 27834 Lines, 1021648 Bytes

That doesn't include the aliases, or the addons that I don't have loaded.

Just a thought...

-genius_at_work

B
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
B
I don't see any need to split it up, I have no problem navigating it and i've not come across any adverse effects of having a large single script.

Link Copied to Clipboard