mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
LeRaldo Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
L
In upgrading from 6.16 to 6.17, I started having problems with what I believe to be the Window Buffer, but I'm not sure.

What happens is, for whatever reason, I can't scroll up more than a few lines (in a channel). The scroll bar will be small in a really active channel, but when I go to scroll (either by clicking the up/down arrow, using the scroll wheel on my mouse, or by clicking the scroll bar and dragging), the scroll bar starts to get fatter as I scroll, and I can only scroll a few lines, before the text has a "cut off" look. It will cut off someones text mid-line. This started happening immediately after installing 6.17. It's almost like the Window Buffer has gotten really, really small or something. I've checked the option, and it says it's 5000 (what it always was, I believe).

I'm not the best at explaining things, as you can see. I'll try and provide screenshots, if needed.

I'm not using any scripts or anything.

Computer Specifications:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4C GHz (Overclocked to 3 GHz), 800MHz FSB, 512KB CACHE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19"
GPU: Sapphire ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
RAM: Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 1GB (2x512MB) PC-3200 (DDR400)
HDD 1: Western Digital 37GB 10000RPM 8MB Buffer
HDD 2: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer
HDD 3: Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM 2MB Buffer
HDD 4: Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
DVD-ROM: LITEON 16X
DVD-RW: LITEON DVD+/-RW Dual Layer 12X
Connection: Comcast Cable 4.0Mbit/384Kbit

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
screenshots would make it more clear

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
Quote:
What happens is, for whatever reason, I can't scroll up more than a few lines (in a channel). The scroll bar will be small in a really active channel, but when I go to scroll (either by clicking the up/down arrow, using the scroll wheel on my mouse, or by clicking the scroll bar and dragging), the scroll bar starts to get fatter as I scroll, and I can only scroll a few lines, before the text has a "cut off" look. It will cut off someones text mid-line. This started happening immediately after installing 6.17. It's almost like the Window Buffer has gotten really, really small or something. I've checked the option, and it says it's 5000 (what it always was, I believe).

I have had somewhat the same problem for a few versions now, and if I recall correctly, it's a problem that others have had as well, just not quite as bad as you have described.

If I'm right, while scrolling, the display seems "jumpy", as though it's starting to show something, but then as though it's closing a gap (so it jumps). You can do different tricks, like ctrl+home to go to the top of the buffer then page-down and watching the bar get bigger as it attempts to scroll down, and the display will still be jumpy.

A search of the forums during the past 2 years may get you some hits on the issue.

M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
I have the same problems.
So, I decided to watch what happen with buffer by using the next code.

Code:
/timerCB 0 60 echo -t #MiLLENiS $($line(#WatchingPublicChan,0))

The total number of lines had increased more and more, ( 10 -> 123 -> 245 -> ... -> 1294 -> 1458 )
but suddenly decreased, ( 1458 -> 182 )
and increased again. ( 182 -> 295 -> ... )

(my option 'Window Buffer' is 30000)

L
LeRaldo Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
L
Screenshots:

http://home.comcast.net/~leraldo/mirc1.gif

The red square around the scrollbar shows that there is a bit of channel history.

http://home.comcast.net/~leraldo/mirc2.gif

Now, after scrolling up (it didn't scroll very far), the scroll bar has gotten much larger, and text at the top is cut off mid-line (there's no timestamp). Either it's cut off mid-line or it's from someone's entered text that took 2 or more lines on my client.

Edit: Another (most likely un-related) odd thing I'm seeing, is ever since updating from 6.16 to 6.17, occassionally I will see quit messages from other people/channels in my status window. Really strange.

Last edited by LeRaldo; 01/03/06 08:05 PM.
E
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
E
Same one here, I'm using mIRC 6.17 + nnScript 4.01, and this problem started immediately after updating both.

Screenshots from here too:
http://fsh.ath.cx/chili/bilderkram/cut2.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/eetu__/nnbug.jpg

Before I had Window Buffer set at 5000, now it's 2000. But before I was able to scroll back days, even a week. Now it cuts the text after few hours. Maybe the limit didn't work before? I'm trying now if increasing the buffer to 30000 helps.

Another thing that happened when I updated to 6.17 is that scrolling up is damn slow when compared to 6.16. Any suggestions why it could happen?

Last edited by eduard0; 05/03/06 08:55 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I have actually had this problem before with 6.03 and reported it back then

I thought it would have been fixed but it seems it still exists sometimes

https://forums.mirc.com/s...=true#Post29735

check this thread.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
E
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
E
As I said, I increased the window buffer to 30000 but it didn't have any effect at first. Now on maybe 10th reboot somehing happened, problem doesn't occur anymore and the scrolling speed is also back to normal. So strange...

Link Copied to Clipboard