mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
molitar Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
M
Ok explorer.exe crashed. Sometimes window itself does not restart it. I typed in taskmanager explorer.exe but the mirc icon is not restored in systray and I have to endtask it and re-open it. Problem seems to be below:

when explorer closes and is re-started, it does not know what was in the system tray previously, nor what is supposed to be there. when the shell re-starts, it sends a system-wide broadcast message, WM_TASKBARCREATED (?) since this is a broadcast messages, all running apps are supposed to hear this message. upon hearing this message, if the app has a systray icon, it is supposed to respond with the same messages sent when it originally put the icon in the tray, once again telling the shell to put this icon in the systray.

And like most apps it seems mirc does not respond to this message. Please fix this. Thanks.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
(Offtopic: How do you monitor these calls ?)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC already checks for the TaskbarCreated message and automatically re-adds itself to the tray. You can test this by ending the Explorer.exe process using Task Manager and then re-running the Explorer.exe process to start the desktop/tray again. If mIRC does not appear in the tray then my guess is that this is due to the issue that caused explorer.exe to crash in the first place.

Also note that on some versions of Windows this behaviour is not supported by Windows depending on whether you have certain combinations of Windows updates installed. You can find out more about it by searching google.

F
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
F
I have this problem quite frequently, even if I kill explorer myself.

#Network-Central on irc.necron.org

Link Copied to Clipboard