Print Thread
#142863 19/02/06 05:22 PM
W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
it would be nice if mirc had a warning/explanation on rejection of entering when a channel is +r (registration on the irc network is required), many many people get confused by this channelmode in my experience, and I'm given to understand that it's the clients like mirc who must handle errorreporting.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Any errors generated by modes are sent by the server. +r is not a mode specified in the IRC protocol, is not present on all networks, and is not consistent on all networks where it does exist (on DALnet for example, it isn't +r, it's +R).

mIRC supports raw event scripting if you want to see pretty errors.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
I don't want to see some pretty errors, I simply don't want to tell 500 people a day what +r is.
And I think you'd have a hard time finding a network that only has the old channelmodes nowadays, and it seems that as far as I can tell all servers agree on the meaning of +r/R.
I'm going freaking nuts, I talk to all kinds of developers and coders and they all put the ball in someone elses court.
Is it so impossible to get together and solve a minor issue on this planet? no wonder people go nuts over cartoons nowadays...

P.S. oh btw, it seems that it is possible to implement censorship everywhere then eh, guess there's a damn good RFC for that then.

Last edited by Wwhat; 19/02/06 09:31 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
I simply don't want to tell 500 people a day what +r is.

Unfortunately, helping others can be repetitive. That's just the way it is. mIRC has popup support, if a question is asked 500 times a day (and I understand you were just being sarcastic), then make a popup for it. Easier to answer that way smile

Quote:
I talk to all kinds of developers and coders and they all put the ball in someone elses court.

Trust me, it is the ircd coders you need to speak to. It is unreasonable to expect client developers to code specific differences in the handling of certain raw messages. If server messages are vague, then perhaps the ircd developers should stop saying something simplistic such as "You must have a registered nick to join this channel", and make something that fully explains the situation.

Quote:
Is it so impossible to get together and solve a minor issue on this planet?

No it is not impossible. People come to this board and report bugs or request features all the time and they are acted upon. But you're asking the wrong people I'm afraid.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
I trust no one ;]
I was told by coders that the IRCD is not built to report errors that way, it send a simple raw refusal and it's up to clients to interpret.
So yes, mirc has to find a way to deduce it all.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
lol @ "mirc has to .." It already does, it displays the raw
message and triggers a raw event. The thing is, +r can have
totally different meanings on different servers/networks and
mIRC has no way to know what it means, and it can't check
the network and report according to individual networks, it's
just too much to keep up with. The user needs to take the time
to read over available documentation and learn to use the
available help system for their network which explains what
all the channel modes, user modes & commands mean.

~ Edit ~
What it boils down to is, when it comes to interfacing with
the IRCd, mIRC is dumb, it only knows what the server tells
it, and trying to interpret (guess) the meaning of a vague
raw server message
would create more problems than
it could ever solve. In these situations, mIRC just plays the
messenger and just tells the user what the server tells it.

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 20/02/06 04:17 PM.
F
Babel fish
Babel fish
F
<- :irc.splitnet.net 480 FaiNT #fainted_one :You need to identify to a registered nick to join that channel. For help with registering your nickname, type "/msg NickServ help register"

that was the RAW rizon sends.

after the : u see a msg, this is the msg mirc gives u, so its the ircd's job to give a msg for error handling, not mirc's

known on irc as MrStonedOne
read my full post before replying or dont reply. tl;dr isn't allowed here
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I will assume you mean +R since +r is pretty much globally used on ircd's to mark a channel as registered and i cant think of any that restrict access dependant on this mode. As for +R (or equivelent), as others have stated this is not a standard mode and is far from uniform across ircd's, however MOST ircd's will provide you with an error message if you are unable to join a channel... for ANY reason.

As stated this is infact an ircd dev issue, not a client issue, it is the ircd's job to inform the client as to why a user could not join a channel, and infact it is the only way it if possible. There is no plausable was for a client to know why the ircd denied a user access to a channel unless the ircd sends an error message.

Some ircd's take the time to send proper error messages explaining why the join (for example) was denied, and unfortunately some others just tell you the mode that caused the join to fail.

Also, it should be fairly easy for somebody to see what the mode means, most ircds have a listing of channel and nick modes along with what they do, try /quote ircdhelp.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby

Link Copied to Clipboard