Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#141595 15/02/06 03:24 PM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Quote:
So ok what if they have? Fine IRC isnt real life they wont die from being shouted at

Well, I couldn't agree any more! I mean, it's not like you're going to have the word n00b tattooed on your forehead or something... No matter for how long have I been into IRC (quite a while, I must accept), being written in caps ("shouted at") is still not a big deal... man, it's not a deal at all!!! I think people are giving actions IRC-people take on them a greater importance than they have... specially when they come after you've committed such a crime as writing in colored text... I would be really concerned if I was caught using colors while writing on my neighbor's wall, and they were about to call the police... now that is what I would worry about...
They don't like you in a chat room because you're using colors? So start your own chan room, invite your friends...
You feel bad because they're shouting at you and calling you n00b? Join a room called #mybedroomcorner and start typing sad faces until you feel better...

'nuff said wink

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
#141596 15/02/06 10:35 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I cant even see where hes coming from, I mean hes moaning about someone using caps (which he didnt like) in responce to his use of color (which the other person didnt like).

I mean talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

#141597 19/02/06 04:53 PM
W
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
W
/strip [+-burc]
Turns control code stripping options in Options dialog on/off.

/strip +c

would turn color stripping on.

And so you don't see any color anymore and can allow others to make their own decision.
Tell them that.

#141598 20/02/06 12:30 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
if you (a single person) join a channel where the rules state (the @'s make the rules, live with it!) that you shouldn't use colours it's not up to them to display the viewing of them in THEIR client... it's up to you to conform with the channel rules and turn them off yourself.

maybe the reaction of the person from the opening post was a bit much for some people but I can understand it.

next to that, IRC is a privilege not a right. everyone can maintain their channel as they want (conform the network rules). it may be a bit short tempered but hey, it's their channel so they can do what they want!

as many in this thread have already said: you should always go out from the worst and turn off any features that might annoy others untill you know which ones are allowed or not.

I do know you said you 'normally' turn off the colours, but you didn't this time clearly. so the fault is yours, not theirs really.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
#141599 20/02/06 03:39 PM
W
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
W
Well it is my impression people disallow color because they don't know about the /strip +c command
Plus I didn't even mention /ignore +k nick which ignores colorcodes from that person but lets the rest through.
Also, IRC is a social gathering, so rules of politeness apply and it would be more polite to disable color on your client rather than act like a nazi to every stranger, but perhaps that's my weird old world view of politeness eh..

#141600 20/02/06 04:21 PM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Sure, and wearing bullet-proof vests is politer than asking everyone to leave their guns at home, and covering your brand-new carpet with newspapers is politer than asking your guests to take off their shoes...
but that's my own point of view, you know?
and my daily dose of sarcasm and "things taken to extremes", too

wink

#141601 21/02/06 06:44 PM
W
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
W
Clever how you turn things around there, in the end you only convince yourself though

#141602 21/02/06 06:48 PM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Edit: I was about to post a hot-blooded response... rather not, though... *shrugs*

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard