Print Thread
#139819 18/01/06 11:03 AM
D
Doqnach Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
I know there was a thread about it somewhere before but I can't find it using the search (also expanding to 5 years)...

my mIRC is displaying the ctrl+? (b/k/etc) not as blocks anymore but other characters...
I know this problem was in Windows I believe but I forgot how to fix it *G*

anyone any ideas?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
wasnt a font change was it? not all fonts show them as little boxes, of course it might be as you said and some obscure windows setting.

D
Doqnach Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
I use courier new, like I always have actually...

it does have to do with something like that but I can't remember hehehe

I had it correctly before I reinstalled my windows last august... ever since it's back to the strange characters but can't remember how I fixed it last time around :-/

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd like to know too. I know I've asked in the past without getting any answers.

I almost think it's something to do with code pages that are installed. Remember that a box is what Windows uses if it doesn't know what a character is. This is not only true for fonts, but also for code pages. For example, if Ctrl-B "character" was that little "L" shaped thing in one of the Asian code pages I have installed, then that may be why I don't have it as squares anymore. Perhaps that is the same for you as well?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
The strange ctrl+? characters appear when "Install files for East Asian" languages is enabled in Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages.

Source.

D
Doqnach Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
damn, any way to make it appear normal then without having to remove that support ?

I don't want to remove that support because I need it from time to time :-/

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
You could just enable it when you need it if it's only from time to time.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, I thought that was what it probably was. Oh well. It's rarely a problem for me... I think only one of the control characters (one that's not normally used) won't display at all. The rest display, so they work just fine. It also lets you visually see what code is used in the editor, which can be useful. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Doqnach Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
the underline character indeed doesn't get displayed... really annoying ;-]

anyone who knows an ascii character I can use to create a block character? (like the 'old style' ctrl codes?) no matter the asian language support and all ?

because I already checked the ascii tabel and there are non which will work on normal encoding :-/

Link Copied to Clipboard