Ameglian cow
S
Hi all.
I think i`m not only one, who is sad about such things occur in mIRC:
* hadd - String too long
* echo - String too long
* set - String too long
and so on...
Problem is, that mIRC has known limitations in functions, which process some strings (in their length).

So, I`d suggested to make mIRC working with no limitations to strings length, or at least make maximum length much more longer.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
pffffft feel lucky, i remember a time years ago when I was using BASIC on something (might have been an apple?!?!) And string length was limited to 255 characters, oh but what fun that was.

Actually I think someone mentioned the string lengths in mirc are related to some system setting/string passing length That or it was something to do with the compilers handling of strings in printf? something i cant remeber what, but i dont think it was a limit of mirc as such, rather mirc is actually checking if the strings too long (which well cause errors in the underlying building blocks (code below the source code)) and throwing an error in responce to this.

* please note, if im wrong then i fall back on the fact that im just rambling about things i think i remember. I may have infact been at work or asleep or both at the time.

S
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Don`t actually understand what are you speaking about, but problem I think not in OS (I could imagine if windows had limit in his string functions, it would be so funny I think =]).

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
but problem I think not in OS (I could imagine if windows had limit in his string functions, it would be so funny I think =]).

The wsprintf Windows API call has a limit of 1024 bytes (see the lpOut parameter). And indeed, rumour has it that this is the original reason for the limit in mIRC...

Saturn, QuakeNet staff

Link Copied to Clipboard