mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
Norton antivirus considers a DCC send from my computer to be an attempt by a trojan to enter my computer. Does anyone know how to write the rule in Norton to permit DCC send to go through?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Its likely becuase you have mirc set to the default DCC ports 1024-5000

Tools/options in the options menu open CONNECT and select OPTIONS, click Advanced, and change the FIRST and LAST DCC ports to something else like 4000-4010 or 6123-6132 or what ever ya like, just stay away from anything you know u already use. (you wont really need more than a range of 10 in there at the best of times)

If this allone doesnt fix it, (which i think it well), then you need to also clear those ports for inbound connections to your pc in nortons.

The reason you are getting the attack message, is becuase when you send a file, you tell the reciever your IP and a Port number, and instrcut his irc client to connect to you using that IP and Port, once connected you then send him the file using that connection. Nortons however knows nothing of this, and just sees some random person trying to connect to your PC, there are a pile of viruses/trojens using port 1024, so mirc also using it is the likely mistaken attack message cause.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks; that got rid of the Norton, but DCC send still doesn't connect. I have on connect always get local host checked and have tried both methods. Any suggestions?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Open in your firewall the dcc ports that you have set mirc to use.

P
OP Offline
P
110 is open, otherwise NetScape couldn't receive mail either. Is there another port?

P
OP Offline
P
Please ignore that. My aging brain muddled a different problem into it.

T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
What message do you get from the DCC send when it fails, also do you have CTCP blocked/disabled by a script or what not, this would cause an inability to exchange information so the DCC can be accomplished.

Link Copied to Clipboard