Print Thread
N
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
N
Please Help!!! GUys!!
frown frown frown
How do u limit ur download speed when u download from other people ???? confused confused confused

Cause i use all the speed and my families yelled to shut down !!! THis is getting ugly!!! mad mad mad mad I just want to limit some and give them some

Please reply !!! please

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Simple... DON'T DOWLOAD

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Mirc has no inbuilt functions to limit download speed (uploads cand be controlled), or even i think the ability to do it script wise. You would be best to look for an external solution, such as a bandwidth limiter, these applications can control the in and out band bandwidth of almost any application. Another option is if your ROUTER (if you have one) may have a QOS section (quality of service), you can control the % of bw made avalaible to each lan Ip, those not requiring any at the time well be passed to the others, this is better than a limitor as it gives u all of it if no one else is doing anything, however the QOS i have always found is one of the harder things in a router to correctly configure.

N
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
N
oh man i guess i can't do anything about it crazy crazy crazy

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
yes you can do one of the two things i suggested.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Have you already done a Google Search for Bandwidth Limiter ?

Gone.
T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
They have ways of doing it but its rather tedious.

One way is to do exactly what was stated, bandwidth limiter or bandwidth shaper. Traffic shaping is the idea that the client drops packets, the TCP will actually notice that its packets are being dropped, assuming its congestion it will slow itself down to try to avoid retransmiting the same packet over and over.

but there doesn't seem to be an easy way.

There is a way of doing it though, it would require that you intercept the DCC request with a proxy (scripted or compiled daemon/service) that would control the flow by buffering til the OS starts sending ACK packets back to the server saying to stop, and just reading a max of say 40kb of data from the buffer every second. The server would slow down because the nature of TCP is to not lose data, so it would slow down if its packets had to be retransmitted over and over again because they are being dropped (due to congestion is the main cause).

Last edited by TACO; 19/12/05 04:41 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard