mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
bigboss Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Currently, if you connect to a server and are forced to use the alternate nickname specified in the mIRC options, then use /nick to change your nick during that same session, it changes your alternate nickname in the options. We already have /anick to change the alternate nickname. /nick should always change the main nickname.

The current behavior also prevents users from programmatically changing the main nickname in the options when currently connected under the alternate nick. I feel this is a bug.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Not sure if this is related in anyway at all but you can use /tnick <Nick> to change your nickname to a temporary nickname, without affecting your main or alternate nicknames.

-Andy

B
bigboss Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Yes, that is a workaround to the first issue, but there is still the problem of being completely unable to programmatically set the main nick in these situations.

There is a specific command to force the alternate nick to change (/anick). This leads me to believe the intention of /nick is to change the main nick and as such should be fixed in the next version.

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
I agree.

While I don't think it's a bug, I do think it is something that seems to have been left out. Having seen $mnick in the help file, I had always assumed /mnick would change one's main nickname (as is the case for /anick/$anick). I was suprised to find out it doesn't! Of course, an on INPUT workaround could likely be used in conjunction with /nick and /mnick in order to stop the raw message from being sent to the server, but this would be an unnecessary (albeit perhaps minor) burden on processing. A command /mnick would be preferred.

Last edited by Jinx_Dojo; 07/12/05 04:01 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If anyone's counting votes, here's mine in favour.

Link Copied to Clipboard