Print Thread
F
Felpipe Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
F
hello, how about a Chat option like the old Hyperterminal was? or is... anyway

It would be really cool to see the text that is being written to you as its actually being written ! ( Live-real-time-chat )

for example: I type "Hello"

when I Type "H" you inmediatelly see the letter "H" appear then I type "E" and Inmediatelly you see the letter "E" Apper and so on.....

I think that would be a very Cool feature for mIRC to have, very unique I would say.

what do you think ?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Possibly too unique, since I don't think the IRC protocols currently allow that, and while mIRC does have a large following, there are other chat clients out there that use the same protocols, so either the IRC protocols would have to be changed to allow it, or all clients would have to be re-worked to allow it...personally, I don't see an advantage.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I think the load on IRC servers would be too much, unless this was implemented in a dcc type manner and the server was left out of the equation.

F
Felpipe Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
F
hix: yeah thats what I though adding that in a DCC chat....

Russ:I know It can not do it.... Thats why I suggested it ! hehehe

when a sentence if being written u get the idea before its complete so u can write something to the other person before its done ( makes chatting more efective )

chatting like that its a lot faster and interesting cos there is no actuall time to turn around and do something else while the person types.... so you'd really get into the converzation

I still think it would be cool to have that feature.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
There are probably some features that can be implemented without a lot of recoding of the main program, due to the fact that the IRC protocols will support that feature. What you're talking about, I believe, would require a rework of the IRC protocols, not just a rework of the mIRC program.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
This could probably be added by way of a script, but I can't see it being added as an actual feature of mIRC. I think someone already mentioned this, but it would definately put more of a load on the IRC servers.

A script could be implemented using the current IRC protocol to transmit control strings as messages. An on KEYDOWN event would monitor what a user is typing, and send a message that corresponds to what character the user just typed. The only catch is that both users would need the script installed, otherwise it would just look like jibberish to the one without the script.

-genius_at_work

Last edited by genius_at_work; 05/12/05 06:46 AM.
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
mIRC could possibly invent its own way of handling DCC chats, allowing users to transmit data one character at the time, and only displaying a line break when an 'A0' (line break) character was transmitted.

It probably wouldn't be compatible with existing implementations, though, and it might confuse users who mistakenly write something in the chat that they do't want the other person to see, as I'm sure has happened to many users on ICQ. smirk

Link Copied to Clipboard